PDA

View Full Version : Sick mono

shluffer
08/06/2009, 07:38 PM
Two of the monos in my aquarium have frayed fins. They also have white growth on them. One of them has cloudy eyes (I may be imagining that though).

I also have white worms that are thin growing on the glass. They are curled up into circles.

I don't know if the two are related. I tried to take pictures but I was unable to get one showing the white growth.

I quarantine my fish for 3 weeks prior to introducing them into the DT. For that reason I don't think its ich, but it could be.

Any ideas what this could be? I introduced my last fish into the tank two or three weeks ago. He is showing no signs of sickness.

I am going to post my water parameters in a couple. My nitrates are high but I will double check everything else.

shluffer
08/06/2009, 07:53 PM
PH - 8.4
Nitrate -20
Ammonia - 0
nitrite - ?
SG - 1.024

Gwynhidwy
08/07/2009, 06:34 AM
Are they behaving normally? Eating well?

White growths and frayed fins could be several things, but my first guesses would be either a bacterial infection or lymphocystis. You could also have flukes with a secondary bacterial infection. Did you treat these fish with anything while in quarantine?

Since you can't get a good photo, you might look around online and see if you can find a diagnosed fish photo with a similar appearance to yours. This website has some decent info:
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/disease.html

shluffer
08/07/2009, 01:33 PM
I went passed my LFS and showed them the pictures on my phone. They are thinking its fin rot with a possible secondary bacterial infection. I purchsed some medicine for them. I'm going to start treatign them when I get home (went to the LFS durring lunch).

It could be related to a recent recycle in my tank. We had a power outage for 4 hours about a week ago. They are thinking a bunch of the bacteria died off durring the outage. It would be concistent with my water going blurry. Its clear now.