PDA

View Full Version : chaeto: green = alive?

gusmanda
08/07/2009, 09:34 AM
my chaeto has not grown at all for some time. I just changed the bulb, but want to make a stupid question anyway to ensure I'm not trying to grow something that's already dead: if it's green, it's still alive, right?

mullinsd2
08/07/2009, 09:42 AM
Yeah, you should be fine. Some people have a hard time with them growing... the new bulb will probably help.

philipchan
08/07/2009, 11:39 AM
what kind of light you using?
and how many K?
5100~6500K is the best for chaeto growing
also the light need to be more near to the chaeto :)

rgrobe
08/07/2009, 11:58 AM
My cheato hasn't grown for a long time and it remains green. I have noticed that it only grows quickly when my nitrates or phosphates are higher. I have a 180 with a small bioload so my levels remain consistently minimal. Do you have high levels of either?

thegrun
08/07/2009, 01:08 PM
If your chaeto sinks to the bottom of your refugium, it helps to put it up on an egg crate stand to get more intense lighting. Once it is established it usually floats on its own. It is also a good idea to flip it over once or twice a week to get light to the entire ball, not just the top, or the chaeto on the bottom will eventually die (turn white or brown).

gusmanda
08/07/2009, 01:13 PM
there's algae growing on the main tank, so I'm guessing there's enough nutrients (unfortunately). One thing I had not tried before is getting it closer to the light, I'll need to try that. Thanks everyone!!!