PDA

View Full Version : Palythoa toxica Advise on Treatment???

Whitebird1
08/08/2009, 01:49 AM
Not as bad as what I have read, but I screwed up, got exposed while fraging and my fingers are hurting to say the least If any one has dealt with this, Any advise?? A few PMs sent!
Thanks.

650-IS350
08/08/2009, 12:04 PM
can you post pics of the specific paly that got you....

I got tagged twice , slime of bottom polyps got in my lips, while rubbing my face and didn't know I had slime on my sleeves. Got the worst headache , body aches /pains felt like I got beat up with bats and pain and uneasy feeling lasted for a couple hours.

2nd time I got squirted right in the eye by a zoanthus gigantus... immediately ran to the bathroom and did a eye wash on the faucet for 10 mins. My eye burnt for a week or 2. went to the hospital for bacterial eye wash. Eye was irritated for weeks after that. Most polyps we keep aren't as harsh as the true palythoas that have super palytoxin. But if your really scared, go see a doctor,

650-IS350
08/08/2009, 12:05 PM
were you wearing protective equipment IE' gloves, eyewear and mask (if needed )

the808state
08/08/2009, 04:51 PM
you have a bacteria infection, if it was true palytoxin you would be dead.

Here is a little example of how much can kill you. They say less than 5 micrograms.

Take your average medicine dropper and pull out 1 ml of water. 1 ml of water is = to one gram of water. Now out of that 1 ml of water you have... 5/1,000,000 of it will kill you.

Whitebird1
08/09/2009, 03:07 AM
[If really bad the emergency room.]
Not a that stage, but not good.
]It looked like poison ivy and itched like crazy for days.]
That describes it but on a higher level or too ,Been a month since the main exposer, very slow healing, like a chemical burn.
]has this happened before? cause you play with lotsa zoos. was it a particular one that caused it?]
First Time did not were gloves, not a immediate reaction, but DAMM, after a few days i new I screwed up. Second Time Was splash above the gloves on the arm. Just plain zoos, 12 or do types. They were seceating Mucus, Thats the bad stuff.
]John's gotten it in his eyes a couple of times]
Phil, Perhaps a warning sticky would be a good idea on the forum, I could contribute my experience to it, plus info from other forums. This is something that has made me conceder giving up on my Reefs.
Hey, keep looking into this please, uninsured and doc bills are not needed!!
Thank you for responding GregH

Whitebird1
08/11/2009, 07:12 AM
Yes, Been researching Already, Amazing some of the nasty s we have in our tanks.
I have been in touch with multiple persons on RC that had the same thing, 2 month + healing time. Dermatitis Burn, Allergic Reaction and Secondary Infection. The information is scattered and mostly done for possible medical applications for new drugs and is incomplete due to the cost involved. Observations from individuals are showing the same results, Example, The Bristle Worm has a mild Toxin in each hollow shaft that when it penetrates the skin may result in a tingling and numbness for up to to 3 months but no treatment is cited!
Basic Recommendations At This Point.
Minimum Precautions, Wear Gloves, preferably ones that extend up the forearm.
Use Eye Protection. Be very aware not to touch your eyes or unprotected skin while working.
Wash hands and any skin that may have been exposed with soap and water to remove toxins and Bacteria. Special care should be taken with any open wounds to prevent secondary infections. Hand sterilizers, Hydrogen peroxide and Antibiotic Ointments have be used before and after possible exposure.
Treat all tools, Surfaces, Towels Ect used while working as contaminated and wash or discard immediately.

650-IS350
08/11/2009, 09:13 AM
After a couple alergic reactions to being stung by something I wear those thick (Red/blue ) full arm gloves from corallife.

I don't use them, after washing with soap/water. I also put rubbing alcohol all over my hands and arm and let it air dry for 5 mins.