PDA

View Full Version : anemone moved under an overhang and wont move out

Constantin
08/08/2009, 08:53 AM
i placed my BT anemone in the tank, and it was doing just fine, bubbling and hosting my clown. Hower i suspect that the flow was a bit much in the spot where i placed it, so it moved, then it moved again till it got under one of the overhangs. now it wont come out of there for the 3rd day, there is no light under the overhang, and its not forming bubble tips.
What do i do? wait for it to move itself or attempt to move it myself? clown is still in it, water params are optimal.

thanks for all the advice so far, what kind clown pair would you recommend getting, i am new to saltwater, but have a firm understanding of all the eqiupment, ect, and have everything set up to a good standart how to go about getting them paired up if i order online? i intend to just get juvies and hope both are not females already(they shouldnt be)

garygb
08/08/2009, 10:29 AM
What are your actual water parameters, what type of lighting do you have (it could be adjusting to brighter light and recoiling into the shade).

If you already have a clown being hosted, then you would want to stick with that species, different species of clown often don't mix well. If you do add another clown of the same species you have, make sure it is quite a bit smaller, that way the two will be more likely to successfully pair.

Pics might be helpful. How big is the clown compared to the anemone?

At this point, I suggest you wait and see if the anemone will begin to extend out into the light.

davocean
08/08/2009, 10:35 AM
I'm guessing bright light too.
Params?
And agree, one pair, same species.

Constantin
08/08/2009, 11:48 AM
well, good news that the anemone is starting to come out, and its ALOT bigger than it was when i got it, atleast it looks that way, most of it is still stretched under the overhang though. not bubbling though, like it used to.

water params are alk at 10 ph is 8.14-8.19, no3 and po4 are 0 and temps are around 78f, lighting is 400w MH, on an HQI ballast with lumanmax elites, they are only on for 6 hours a day though, rest of the time, i have some t5s over the tank for actinic supplementation, i could also measure par, but why bother, it is pretty bright compared to where it was.

As far as the clowns go, i would really like to have 2 pairs of different clowns, because i really enjoy watching the different behaviors they exhibit, and was going to get another anemone for the other pair...
what 2 pairs can i safely keep in a 350g tank (i cant imagine not being able to keep 2 pairs in a tank this large, i have seen it done, but then again, i do heed to the advice given on these forums).

davocean
08/08/2009, 03:04 PM
So is this in a 350g system already?
Not sure on tank depth, but either way that's strong light for a BTA, not that it can't/won't adjust, but sure that's why it went under ledge.
I normally don't rec more than one pair, and even in a 350g it's still a gamble that one, your nems stay put at far ends of tank, and 2 that one pair doesn't decided to travel back and forth between nems, therefore discovering other pair.
In my 180g I had bookend nems, and my maroons traveled to both.
You might get lucky in that size system.
Maroons, tomatoes, and clarkis seem to be top of aggro list if that helps.
Skunks and occs on low end IME, though occs slow to take host.
Maybe percs/skunks, or even onyx/picasso/skunks?

Constantin
08/08/2009, 06:21 PM
this is in a 350 36" deep tank.. so i dont think its all that much light.

I have one black sabae, gonna try to get a mate for it, and then maybe piccaso clowns with a RBTA or another nem...

What would you consider the most unusual nem? i havent seen any in person besides a BTA carpet and long tentacle

loosecannon
08/08/2009, 06:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15494202#post15494202 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Constantin
i placed my BT anemone in the tank, and it was doing just fine, bubbling and hosting my clown. Hower i suspect that the flow was a bit much in the spot where i placed it, so it moved, then it moved again till it got under one of the overhangs. now it wont come out of there for the 3rd day, there is no light under the overhang, and its not forming bubble tips.
What do i do? wait for it to move itself or attempt to move it myself? clown is still in it, water params are optimal.

thanks for all the advice so far, what kind clown pair would you recommend getting, i am new to saltwater, but have a firm understanding of all the eqiupment, ect, and have everything set up to a good standart how to go about getting them paired up if i order online? i intend to just get juvies and hope both are not females already(they shouldnt be) I have had a lot of problems keeping my bta were I want him. I have heard here on RC , that they don`t like their foot in the light. So I got one last week from lfs and hide the foot in some rock and he has not moved. Now my problem is getting my 2 nimos out of him long a nu ff for me to feed it .:rolleyes:

Constantin
08/09/2009, 12:55 PM
i have tried getting him from under the ledge and failed, i was really gentle though....

He is still hiding there... ah well.

patriots81
08/10/2009, 09:54 AM
he will come out eventually. he is still trying to adjust to the light. I would say that a carpet is the most unusual anemone.