PDA

View Full Version : Alveopora

jer77
08/08/2009, 08:58 PM
So what's the general consensus around here concerning:

Alveopora sp.:

[list=1]1. Hardier/ less hardy/ no difference from Goniopora sp.?

2. Hardiness depends greatly on the individual species?

3. High or moderate lighting?

4. High/ medium/ or low flow? And type of flow?

5. Overall experiences/ life span in captivity/ individual observations[/list=1]

Thanks!!

QueenOfTheReef
08/15/2009, 12:32 PM
I'm sorry I'm not posting to help with your questions...I have no information on these corals. I did want to join in with the need for more info, though. You pose some great questions. I've been interested in an alveopora too and wondering if I could place it right next to my goniopora. Have you found anything out yet?

Imzadi
08/15/2009, 01:25 PM
I think in general they are hardier than Goni's over all. Mine are doing good, but are very fussy. it seems to like medium light (3/4 up on my tank with crap PC/T5) and does like a little flow, but not enough to bash it around. Indirect, i bet would be its favorate. Mine reacts obviously to "Reef Roids" and is quite happy after getting some. For the whole day after it seems to show its appriciation by stretching juuuuust a little further. Mine has fallen a couple of times, and doesn't seem to show any signs of stress or ingury...

I like it a bunch.

cloak
08/15/2009, 01:41 PM
I've always left both of them alone. Not a good track record.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/nftt/index.php

Imzadi
08/15/2009, 02:58 PM
Gonis have never done well, as your post documents, but with the advancement in food, I think the Alvis are doing much better in captivity. I think the crux of the problem is that they like a nutrient rich, low flow, shorepool type environment, and we as reefkeepers usually strive for the opposite. I have heard tell of a 20 some odd year old Goni, in capivity in Hawaii, that is the size of a beachball...

Track records are meant to be broken. :-)

cloak
08/15/2009, 03:01 PM
It's a marathon, not a sprint. I have heard of that $h!t to though.

;)

cloak
08/15/2009, 03:04 PM
DP.