PDA

View Full Version : any idea why my RO/DI float valve is going on/off every 20 seconds?

PapaKlix
08/08/2009, 10:12 PM
i have the ocean reef 4 and the ato float switch seems to pop the thing on every 20 seconds. it fills a 34 gallon reservoir that a pump sends water to my sump via an ato switch, but i've verified that the ato is not even pumping water when this happens. right now, i have to close off the feed line to the ro/di unit to keep this annoyance from occurring, but i'm hoping there's something i can do to fix it.

thanks!

Brad Rogers
08/21/2009, 07:49 PM
Did you figure anything out? I had something similar happen and reallized I had a lot of turbulence causing the water level to change slightly. I just moved the switch to an area with less movement.

PapaKlix
08/21/2009, 07:55 PM
No, same problem. I stopped all water movement and have the same issue

Brad Rogers
08/21/2009, 11:13 PM
Did you try another switch/float valve and double check all the connections? If you dissconnect the float valve (two loose leads), does it still do the same thing?

If when the float valve is disconnected and it does not pump water (which it shouldn't), hard wire the float valve leads together (without the float valve), it shoud run constant.

If these two checks work, then the float valve is probably bad.

Of course, you need to unplug before wiring and re-wiring. And be safe with the loose leads if you try this (ie cap them off and keep dry).

Thefilterguys
08/22/2009, 11:34 AM
Sorry I missed your first post. It sounds like your float valve may be out of adjustment and tettering on the water or cocked. This is something very common with Kent black paddle type float valve. Your water system is sensing a demand for water because the float valve is not holding pressure.

Jim

PapaKlix
08/24/2009, 08:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15574480#post15574480 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Thefilterguys
Sorry I missed your first post. It sounds like your float valve may be out of adjustment and tettering on the water or cocked. This is something very common with Kent black paddle type float valve. Your water system is sensing a demand for water because the float valve is not holding pressure.

Jim

i disconnected, checked and everything seemed to be in mechanical order. i folded a zip tie in half and stuck that behind the top of the valve to force the float to be more vertical (if that makes sense). basically, made it easier for the water to force the valve shut. did that about 8 hrs ago and so far it seemed to have fixed the problem. thanks for the responses!

Brad Rogers
08/24/2009, 08:45 PM
Sorry, on my post, I assumed electrical ATO, thanks Jim. By the way, I purchased one of your units earlier this year, and it is working great!!

Thefilterguys
08/26/2009, 07:50 AM
OK float valves can be a problem some models just don't sit right on the water. Running a pump in the produce water container can also be a problem as the valve tetters causing the RO/DI system to flutter. Sounds like Macgyver saved the day.

Jim