PDA

View Full Version : aquasafe RO/DI filter changes

pompom
08/09/2009, 09:25 AM
I think they've gone out of business. I can't find my instructions or any online anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find instructions for the aquasafe Maximus II (or similar) RO unit?

I've been making a ton of water. I have miserable well water and use it for large weekly water changes on my freshwater tanks also (reconstituted for their requirements).

TDS is measuring 003 but I've made so much water in six months I expect the filters need changing. I haven't done this yet.

Thank you to anyone who has feedback or the instructions I'm looking for.

das75
08/09/2009, 10:55 AM
Got the below fr Aqua-safe in response to an e-mail I sent them, might help.

When to change the filters:
PRE FILTERS: We recommend changing the Pre filters every 6 or 12 months depending on use. If your average use is approx 2-3 gallons a day then you would change them every 12 months, if your average use is approx 5-6 gallons a day then you would change them every 6 months. or Adjust accordingly for a higher average use ie. for 300 gallons a month you would need to change the filters every 3 months.

POST FILTER: The Post Carbon Final filter for taste and odor only needs to be changed ever other time from the Pre filters.

DI FILTER (Maximus and Aquarium model only): If you have a DI filter (Refillable Clear Canister with DI Resin beads) you change it when the DI completely exhausts (changes color), how long it lasts varies from system to system depending on your use and TDS. If you have the older style white disposable DI filter you change it when the water starts tasting funny or the TDS goes up.
The 6oz DI canister lasts the average family approx 3-4 months.

RO MEMBRANE: The membrane generally lasts 2-5 years. We recommend manually flushing the membrane once a month along with changing the filters every 6-12 months to prolong the life of the membrane.

As for the pre-filters, membrane, they weren't unique to Aquasafe and offer vendors carry replacements.

gatorrx98
08/09/2009, 12:37 PM
This may sound really stupid, but what color does the DI resin change to. I received an RODI system when I purchased my tank used a year ago. The DI resin cartridge is full, but I don't know if I should change it. She gave me two bags of bulk resin that i could use. I am just hooking the system up. Now that I've upgraded to MH's, I'm evaporating too much water to keep getting it at the LFS.

das75
08/09/2009, 01:49 PM
the indicating stuff I had goes from green to orange, though the last bunch I picked up is orange from the start (non-indicating).

Way though to see if the resin is exhausted is with a TDS meter.

pompom
08/09/2009, 05:43 PM
Thanks. I've been making about 75 gallons of RO water a week sometimes more. The TDS is still 003 or 004. I'm shocked that the DI resin would still be good?

I'm on a well with lots of bad stuff in the water. I run it through a softener first, sediment prefilter and then the RO booster pump and into the Maximus II.

But I'm using cold water with pressure only at 50ish.

This was an amazing investment. I didn't expect the unit to even last this long. Thought the membrane would be toast by now.

pompom
08/09/2009, 05:45 PM
All the prefilters were changed this afternoon and TDS dropped to 001.

SpectraPure
08/11/2009, 01:23 PM
Your TDS post DI should be less than 1. what is the TDS of your water going to the system? between the membrane and the DI ?

Das75 makes a good point, some color change cartridges do not always provide a marked color change indication, so always use your TDS meter to validate.

bruce