PDA

View Full Version : Reef Substrate

rhinonm
08/09/2009, 10:24 AM
I am currently downsizing from a 120L o a 55T tanks and will be changing the type of substrate I use. I have an SPS dominate in the 120 right now with oolite mixed with special grade reef. i have always had problems with flow creating shifting sand banks and sand covering the rockwork. I am always having to cut my flow back to keep the sand at bay.

In the new tank I want tons of flow. What substrate would you guys suggest? I do not like the BB look. I have been looking at Caribsea crushed coral. People knock cc as a nitrate factory but I think with tons of flow I shouldn't have this problem. What substrate are you guys using?

morishidle
08/09/2009, 11:48 AM
I know tons of people hate cc but ive used it for years, as long as you keep it at a thin layer and siphon it youll be fine. I have had my nitrates come up but always my falt not the sand. Thats the only way with my flow it will work

rhinonm
08/09/2009, 03:53 PM
There are so many people that knock CC but it should be the easiest to clean imo. I believe it will cause problems when low flow and no maintenance.

Tens
08/10/2009, 01:41 PM
tagging along ^^ was asking myself this same question

mg426
08/10/2009, 07:55 PM
I ditched my Oolitic sand in the display and went with the (Special reef grade) aragonite. It is larger that the Oolitic and stays put much better(for me anyhow) I only use about a half inch in the display and it gets siphoned with every water change.