PDA

View Full Version : Large clam ?

superchargeme
08/09/2009, 06:41 PM
I have a Gigas 16"+ and a Squamosa 8"+. I am having trouble keeping my Calcium over 330 alk is a bit high 13.0 I know this will efect the calcium reading that I get. even when my alk was at a solid 8.0 I could not get my cal over 340. Mag is another story the test that i'm using is very hard to read salifert kit. says my mag is 1100 low yes, I switched ca reactors from a jet stream I to a jet stream II switching to try to increase cal but got an increase in alk. I also added some mag crystals and calcium carbonate to the reactor, No changes in any values
I would like some input on how tou maintain these parameteres in you setups.
There was a thread about mag alk and cal, I'll have to look for that also, Thanks any help would be great

seattleguy
08/09/2009, 07:52 PM
I would start by getting your magnesium up to 1300. I would also change to a more reliable brand of test kit. I'm happy with the Elos brand kit that I use. Salifert was indeed hard to read and from what I have read potentially not accurate. You are ionically out of balance if your CA is low and your Alk is high. Do some water changes and add some CA additives after you have the Magnesium up to 1300. If you add it before then it may just precipitate out. I have seven clams in my 140 and one of them is a Blue Squamosa that is larger than a basketball. Good luck bud.

superchargeme
08/10/2009, 04:11 AM
My Squamy is a blue also! they are beautifulll Thanks I'll try out that test kit

OrionN
08/10/2009, 05:05 AM
Any Pictures?