PDA

View Full Version : Parasites or infection??

LuvAngels88
08/09/2009, 07:28 PM
Hello everyone,

I have a 2.5" Goldflake that is having some kind of parasite (?) problem or bacterial infection (?) When I first got it in June, it had a touch of lympho on its pec fins but that eventually went away. It has developed these spots of something on its body. They appear to be under his scales. The fish has been treated with cupramine as well as prazi. The fish is still in QT, is active, and has always eaten well. Here are a couple of pictures. Please excuse the poor picture quality.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q212/johnsus8/GF1.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q212/johnsus8/GF2.jpg

Any ideas of what this may be and how it should be treated? Thanks in advance!

flameangel88
08/11/2009, 12:09 PM
I'm interested in learning more what this may be.

Jay (JHemdal) or Bill (billsreef): anyone of you have an idea what this is and how to treat it?

JHemdal
08/11/2009, 01:24 PM
I can't say about the lower lesions, but I've seen lesions like the upper ones on fish that had Lymphocystis - right at the point where the affected fin would brush the body while the fish swims along. I always assumed it was just viral transference, and sure enough, it would go away in about the same length of time. The lesions on the lower abdomen would not have been brushed by the fin, so that makes me less certain. Still, have you seen kids with warts? My son got one, then he got them all over, then they all gradually went away....

There is a disease that produces singular pimple-like lesions, an internal fungus called Ichthyophonus hoferi (but the name may have changed). Like Lymphocystis, I never heard of a good treatment for it.

Has the fish had these lesions long? Is it still alert and eating well? If yes to both accounts, I'd say it is just Lymphocystis that has spread to the fish's body.....

Jay

LuvAngels88
08/11/2009, 01:42 PM
Jay,

They kind of look like warts, don't they? The fish has had the lesions for a few weeks now. It started out with 1 and then the number of them started increasing. And yes, the fish is still active, alert, and eating VERY well. There is a Blue Line Angelfish in the QT with the GF and so far, it appears to be okay. They were both treated for flukes recently. So, just like Lymphocystis, it will go away on its own? I'll do a significant water change tonight to pull some of the Prazi out and to try to get the water as clean as possible. Thanks for all the helpful info.

Susan

wooden_reefer
08/11/2009, 02:26 PM
Can also be bacterial.

JHemdal
08/12/2009, 08:08 AM
wooden_reefer,

I don't think its bacterial, the chronic nature of the lesions (2 weeks) plus the lack of inflammation point to another cause. Plus bacterial plaques rarely grow outward like that.

I'm still voting that it is Lymphocystis that has transferred the fish's body.

Jay

wooden_reefer
08/12/2009, 11:27 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15515816#post15515816 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JHemdal
wooden_reefer,

I don't think its bacterial, the chronic nature of the lesions (2 weeks) plus the lack of inflammation point to another cause. Plus bacterial plaques rarely grow outward like that.

I'm still voting that it is Lymphocystis that has transferred the fish's body.

Jay

Yes, but bacterial infection is quite varied. This is not the most typical sign, I agree.

LuvAngels88
08/12/2009, 12:12 PM
Jay, I think you are correct with the lympho diagnosis. I found this on WWM:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/lymphfaqs.htm

About halfway down the page, there is a posting with photos of a Majestic Angel with the bumps that look like the lesions or bumps on my Goldflake.

Thanks!