PDA

View Full Version : fragging xenia and star polyps

fishndive
08/09/2009, 10:43 PM
I've had the star polyps for a while and they are spreading very nicely...how do I cut/frag the main body?

Added xenia 2 weeks ago and it is growing VEERRRYYY nicely, already jumping to other rocks but still attached to where I originally added it. To keep it from covering my whole tank how do I frag it

bekindtoyurbuds
08/10/2009, 05:59 AM
Bassically you would frag these the same way you would frag zoa's, I like to use a small flat head screw driver (pocket screwdirver) to slowly scrape the coral matte off of the rock, more scrapeing the rock under neath the coral than the coral itself. This will lift the coral matte from the rock with a little rock still attached to the bottom of the coral. Then take small sharp scissors and cut the coral at the point to where you have scraped to where it is still fully attached to the rock. Then you can glue the piece you have cut to a frag plug or piece of tile, either to trade to someone or to grow out and place somewhere else. You can use some gel super glue to adhere the cut piece to a plug or you can place it into a crevice if you want it to grow somewhere else in your tank. Make sure to cut inbetween the polyps and not through them.

Doing this out of the tank is always easier, but sometimes it is not possible to do so, I also have some star polyps starting to spread and would like to frag them but I would have to pull out allot of rock to get to them, so I think i will just let them do what they do, lol

As for the xenia its probably the same, (I have never done this with xenia) or you could always just cut off the stalk, but it will grow a new stalk in its place.

SAZAMA
08/10/2009, 10:16 AM
kindbuds is right, but like heavy duty garden sheers ( FOR FRAGGING ONLY )

SAZAMA
08/10/2009, 10:23 AM
you won't slip and cut your finger with sheers, my first frag ended 2 cut fingers(EXACTO BLADE) and 3 mangled zoas,but one lived

fishndive
08/10/2009, 08:17 PM
Cool thanks guys