PDA

View Full Version : Is there a definitive list of predators anywhere?

Elysia
08/10/2009, 09:17 AM
Hi all,

I see lots of threads that debate the possibilities of predatation in various animals, mostly invertebrates, and I am wondering if there are any resources (esp. scientific ones) that could be used to end some of these debates and clarify which debates will continue to go on.

For example (but not exactly a perfect match), I have read post from people who believe that they see their lettuce seaslugs eating diatoms or even nori. The biology of these animals is such, though, that their mouth is adapted to pierce algae cells and suck out the contents, and they can't do this with diatoms or nori. Thus, they are not eating these things -- they can't.

There are similar questions about bristleworms, serpent and brittle stars, amphipods, nassarius, and just about every crab species.

If anyone can add some science to some of the (often partial) observations made by hobbyists, perhaps greater understanding can be gained?

sir_dudeguy
08/10/2009, 10:23 AM
closest thing i can think of would be melevsreef.com/id

rendogg
08/10/2009, 12:28 PM
Unfortunately there are no definitive lists. Anytime and animal is involved there are variables, what is observed in one persons tank may not be observed in another tank. Most of the info you find on RC is anecdotal, based on peoples experiences. There are several good books available that cite both anecdotal and scientific information. If in doubt... research, research, research.... and, oh yeah, cross reference.