PDA

View Full Version : zebra hermit attacking Crocea clam??!!

nickxx4360
08/10/2009, 10:07 PM
Today i came home and found 6 to 7 zebra hermits attacking and killin my crocea clam. I have seen them pick @ the mantel before but thought nothing of it. now I have one dead clam, eatin alive.. I have about 20 zebras in the tank. my friend said thats a bit much. the clam was fine this morning before I left work.

anyone else experience this??

I will not be keeping zeba hermits again.

basser1
08/11/2009, 07:16 AM
I don't have any experience with zebra hermits, but I do have blue-legged hermits in my tank. I also have a maxima and I have not had any problems.

I have read when inverts start eating on a clam, it usually meant the clam was already in the process of dying. Sorry for your loss.

nickxx4360
08/11/2009, 07:21 AM
Zebras are different than scarlet/blue legged. More bold and always trying out different things. I say one nipping @ my duster a few weeks back. My duster is still alive and split already.

OrionN
08/11/2009, 10:09 AM
It is unlikely that the hermit attack a healthy clam. If it does, the clam just close up. Other animals, shrimps, hermit crabs, worms attach clams when the clam is sick and dying. If other animal attack and the clam caanot close up complete and be protected in their shell, then they are prety far gone. The scavenger just accelerate the death, not cause it.

Thunderstruck34
08/12/2009, 12:21 AM
+1 couldn't have said it any better.