PDA

View Full Version : Do you dip Clams?

Wd40
08/11/2009, 12:03 PM
Hey i have a 150 sps.. and im new to this dipping thing..
Ive been dipping all my sps but what about clams?
What do you use..
Fluke tabs? Freshwater?
thankx

Nanook
08/11/2009, 12:45 PM
[moved]

a4twenty
08/15/2009, 06:41 AM
dips for clams are for specific ailments, a good QT and inspections should be enough.

scaryperson27
08/15/2009, 11:36 PM
I heard freshwater for 30 minutes. There's more to it than just putting a clam in water however, it supposedly works to get parasites off.

Jeff
08/16/2009, 04:37 AM
I would not dip clams, they shock easily enough anyway. I cant think of a single reason to do it personally.

a4twenty
08/16/2009, 06:16 AM
i guess i better try to clarify this.....

if your clam is a carrier of the protozoa that causes Pinched Mantle ( PM ) and after trying a few other treatments, and only then a FWD is recommended. in very extreme cases with caution, and as a last resort a dip with metronidazole can also be used.

there is absolutely no other reason to dip your clam. this treatment does not work for any other clam ailments / parasites and is very, very stressful on the clam. PM has to be one of the most commonly misdiagnosed ailments and and should only be treated after a proper diagnosis.

HTH

OrionN
08/20/2009, 04:29 PM
Anything that irretated the clam will cause its mantel to "pinched". Pinched Mantel Disease is a specific disease. If this is the cause for you clam to not do well and have it mantel pinched, then FWD is recommended and is very effective.

Dick Perrin the owner of Tropicorium routinely dipped his clams prophylactically (this was in the late 1990). I got the idea of treating clams with PMD using FWD from talking to him. I was trying to teat a tankfull of clams with PMD in, or about 2001 when no one know anything about PMD. I was desperate as my expensive and lovely clams was slowly dying. I was good enogh of a reefkeeper to know that my clams are not dying due to poor tank condition, rather, it was because of this deadly disease. Untreated PMD will kill a clam.