PDA

View Full Version : New 75

jc130b
08/12/2009, 06:07 PM
I now have a 55 gallon and upgrading to a 75 gallon acrylic and I have a few questions. I plan on having softies and couple of fish.
I'm going with a closed loop and would like to know how much flow I would need and what size PVC to plumb it with? And a suggestion of a good pump to use?
I'm also going to use a sump and would like a refug in the sump with a deep sand bed how much area should I have for a DSB?
In DT I plan on going with a SSB any suggestions would help alot.
Thanks

MrRyanT
08/12/2009, 07:16 PM
I believe a pump rated for around 2000gph would give you plenty of flow for what you plan to keep. Are you going to have a sump? If so, then the return pump could count as some of the flow also. If you have a way to alternate flow between a couple of outlets on the closed loop then that would help create a more random flow pattern.

Aquarist007
08/12/2009, 09:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15519573#post15519573 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MrRyanT
I believe a pump rated for around 2000gph would give you plenty of flow for what you plan to keep. Are you going to have a sump? If so, then the return pump could count as some of the flow also. If you have a way to alternate flow between a couple of outlets on the closed loop then that would help create a more random flow pattern.

+1 good answer MrRyanT

jc130b
08/13/2009, 08:49 AM
Any thoughts on why size plumbing I should use? Should the intake and out puts be the same size or different?

MrRyanT
08/13/2009, 12:35 PM
You should never restrict the input on your pump, so that plumbing should be at least as big as the intake. I like to use the same size plumbing as the outlet also, but maybe go with something smaller where it actually enters the water to create a little more turbulence. I also like to put a valve on the outlet side to adjust flow as necessary.

Fizz71
08/13/2009, 12:46 PM
Can I ask why you're going closed loop? I only ask because these days Koralia, Tunze and many others offer high flow powerheads with very low electrical requirement and heat transfers. It's not like the old days when the only way to get good flow was a closed loop. Plus once you drill for a closed loop you're stuck with it. Powerheads you can move and point much easier and offer gentler flows.

Just so you understand...I used to be a big closed loop fan. Had a monster planned for my 240g hiding returns and discharge in rocks..the works. I dumped it all for magnetic mounted koralia maxims and I have NO regrets.

jc130b
08/13/2009, 01:32 PM
I was thinking of going closed loop to hide power heads and cords and also thought you got better flow using closed loop. I will look up Koralia and Tunze. How many of these power heads would I need for a 75 gallon.
Thanks

small alien
08/13/2009, 01:47 PM
I think power heads will be easier. Tunze are better, more efficient and more expensive. Koralia are okay, fine for starting out. But if you've got the cash, go for the Tunze or a Vortech.

Fizz71
08/13/2009, 02:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15524056#post15524056 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jc130b
I was thinking of going closed loop to hide power heads and cords and also thought you got better flow using closed loop. I will look up Koralia and Tunze. How many of these power heads would I need for a 75 gallon.
Thanks

I currently run a single Koralia Magnum 8 on my 240g peninsula along with the sump return and I have a friggin' whirlpool that reaches out 8 feet. I have a second one that I will eventually flip flop back and forth to change the direction of the current every 30 minutes or so. You can't look at my tank like yours though because it's the peninsula setup that allows me to use a single pump that takes about 30 seconds to build up to a large current. Most people like a 20x to 40x turnover on their sps dominated tanks. I currently run 15x but I feel I can actually double that number because of the whirlpool current effect.

Anyway...Look at the TOTM...he's doing a similar thing as me but with more pumps.

I used to think the same thing about hiding stuff, but wound up having just as much of an issue on my last sytem with having to have strainers on my intakes--which I had to clean a LOT. It also wasn't drilled which means I had "up and over" plumbing on the closed loop and ran a sea swirl for random flow which ALSO protruded into the tank.

And you can ditch the cords too if you go with Vortech's powerhead...but they're designed to run on the side of your tank and can't be "pointed" like the koralias and tunzes.

And just to give you an idea on electric costs, the Reeflo Dart (one of the most efficient closed loop pumps on the market and the one I was originally going to use) pulls about 150 watts for 3000 GPH at about 3 feet of head pressure. The Hydor Koralia 8 (one of the most efficient power heads in terms of watt draw per gph) is rated just above 3000 GPH and draws only 18 watts! And it's a nice wide spray too, something you can't do with a PVC return from a closed loop without blasting against the glass (which is what I used to do).

Happy Researching! :)

jc130b
08/14/2009, 05:16 PM
Thank you for the info I will be researching more.