PDA

View Full Version : Singapore Angel Dying

mangelo
08/12/2009, 07:20 PM
He was eating a day after I got him. I've noticed that he would take some of the frozen mysis, but not enough. He was taking live brine, but also not getting enough due to my other fish.

Now, he is just not taking anything at all! I have him confined to another space in my tank away from all the other fish, but he won't eat a thing!!

Is there ANYTHING I can do? I fear he will be gone by tomorrow if not soon!

TIA

blumoon reefers
08/12/2009, 08:53 PM
Have you tried soaking his food in garlic? - it is my understanding that it will help stimulate his appetite. I know it works for my fish.

mangelo
08/12/2009, 08:57 PM
I have these garlic pellets that I threw in. Nothing. I fear the worst.

blumoon reefers
08/13/2009, 05:07 AM
Try soaking the frozen mysis in garlic. Also, if he is new in your tank, it may take a couple of days for him to get used to his new surroundings.

Is he still swimming around?

reefscape15
08/13/2009, 02:10 PM
What other fish is it housed with? Singapore Angels are one of the most shy Angels, and shouldn't be housed with any tank mates that show any signs of aggression. Also, in the wild they are mostly found in and around shaded overhangs and cave type rock features, so don't expect this fish to be swimming around the front of your tank much.

Mike31154
08/14/2009, 01:22 PM
My Singapore came with a used tank set up I purchased and fortunately was well acclimated and eating in the previous owners system. Although I've also read that they can be shy, my specimen is actually quite bold, especially when it comes to feeding time. He eats various flake but really goes for the frozen Mysis.

Now to your problem. Why did you decide to confine him and how is that accomplished? Was he getting bullied or attacked by any other fish? How much swimming room does he have? It seems the Mysis was working so keep trying that, perhaps soaked in garlic as mentioned by blumoon reefers. Although I haven't had the non-eating problem with my Singapore, my first Maroon clownfish did not eat for a week and appeared to suffer no ill effects. He (now she) did laps along the glass all day, I have no idea where the energy came from since he wasn't taking food. Then one day he started pigging out and hasn't stopped since. Take a close look at your Singapore, specifically the belly area behind the head. If that's fairly fat and not sunken, then he's in good shape to deal with a few days of not eating. Also a good sign if he's still fairly active and swimming well.

Keep trying the mysis and good luck with him, hope he decides to start eating. Try some other frozen food and you may find something he likes. Also try a few different types of flake, who knows, it could work. Again best of luck, I really enjoy having the Singapore in my system.

Mike31154
08/14/2009, 01:26 PM
Forgot to mention, my Singapore also tears away at the veggie clip with nori along side the Yellow Tang. And I've seen him pick at various stuff on the live rock.

mangelo
08/14/2009, 01:37 PM
Well, mine didn't make it. I target fed him brine from day one. Try to get him to take veggies and frozen mysis, but to no avail. Those are one of my favs, but just can't have one.

:(

wooden_reefer
08/14/2009, 03:11 PM
Singapore are slow starters to feed but should eat enough in most situations eventually, when it is not out-competed regularily.

I feed with divergence. Know where the Singapore is, feed other fish, and then deliver close to the Singapore.

Mike31154
08/14/2009, 10:38 PM
Yow, that's unfortunate, sorry to hear this. Funny how these things work out for some & not for others. Don't give up, maybe you can snag one from another hobbyist selling theirs like I did. That way you're assured that it's established in the captive mode and hopefully eating well. I know how it feels to lose a fish to starvation, watched a Copperband Butterfly waste away in my tank.

blumoon reefers
08/15/2009, 06:23 AM
I am so sorry to hear that he didnt make it.