PDA

View Full Version : Complete newbie please help!!

snowqueen
08/13/2009, 01:58 AM
Hi all

Please could I have some help?

Clean up crew going in tomorrow
How soon do I get some corals?

Which ones are good for a nano and a beginner? (i want lots of colour)

How and where do u put them in the tanK?

Thanks all :D

george albert
08/14/2009, 03:18 PM
ok how long has the tank been set up for? water per?lighting? just to start off

scuba guy ron
08/14/2009, 09:21 PM
take your time. test for:

calcium
kh
nitrate
phosphate
ph
ammonia

I personally would cycle a tank for 2-3 mos. start testing and wouldnt add live stock until I had good consistent readings for aprox 3 to 5 weeks. Go to the new to reefkeeping forums. there is a link for newbie questions and answers. would be very informative for you to check out and read the forums to see what corals best suit your experience level.

scuba guy ron
08/14/2009, 09:23 PM
here is a good link for you

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1031074

lancer99
08/14/2009, 10:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15532386#post15532386 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scuba guy ron
take your time. test for:

calcium
kh
nitrate
phosphate
ph
ammonia

I personally would cycle a tank for 2-3 mos. start testing and wouldnt add live stock until I had good consistent readings for aprox 3 to 5 weeks. Go to the new to reefkeeping forums. there is a link for newbie questions and answers. would be very informative for you to check out and read the forums to see what corals best suit your experience level.

Good gosh Scuba Guy Ron, you are hard!

If snowqueen is ready to add her CuC, then surely she has tested for and verified that her ammonia is zero....

Ca, Alk, Nitrate and Phosphate are meaningless in a newly-setup softy tank, and can easily be adjusted later, with no ill effects on the tank inhabitants. Don't you know that, Scuba Guy Ron?

-R

sedor
08/14/2009, 10:27 PM
Zoanthids are some of the easiest and still some of my favorite varieties of softies. There are so many different colors and varieties. Good luck with everything and welcome to the board. There is so much useful information here, in no time you'll be an expert.

scuba guy ron
08/15/2009, 08:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15532654#post15532654 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lancer99

If snowqueen is ready to add her CuC, then surely she has tested for and verified that her ammonia is zero....

Ca, Alk, Nitrate and Phosphate are meaningless in a newly-setup softy tank, and can easily be adjusted later, with no ill effects on the tank inhabitants. Don't you know that, Scuba Guy Ron?

-R

I completely understand but that was not the guestion. the question was when to add corals. corals should not be added until water perams are stable which means you need to test after the 2-3 month cycle in order to know. I never told snowqueen to do this now. lancer99 dont you know this?

scuba guy ron
08/15/2009, 08:17 AM

------------------------------------
-never assume especially when someone that places complete newbie please help as the thread tag even knows that they are supposed to test their water.

lancer99
08/16/2009, 02:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15533726#post15533726 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scuba guy ron
lancer99 dont you know this?

LOL, I deserved that!

Snowqueen, once your ammonia is zero, you can add your CuC.

That's assuming that you have lights on....without some algae to eat, they will not be very happy :)

In a softy tank, you can pretty much add any corals you want after that. You may have to worry about other tank params later....

-R

ScarletReef
08/17/2009, 09:23 AM
Snowqueen, what kind of lighting are you running on your tank, and how many watts per gallon? That will also help determine what corals you can most easily keep happy. :)

singold
08/18/2009, 12:25 AM
A Green Star Polyps coral is a good starter coral and bright green for color that u mentioned is important to you.

scuba guy ron
08/18/2009, 12:39 PM
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say snowgueen hasn't checked these posts since she asked the question.

hookedonreef-er
09/02/2009, 12:42 AM
Zoa's, Ricordia's, Laeathers, all are good beginer corals and there are plenty of variety of all of them.