PDA

View Full Version : KalK Reactor Questions and Setup Help.

Dobbs1101
08/13/2009, 09:01 AM
I want to add a Kalk reactor to my setup and I have a few questions. I'm new to kalk reactors, i know how they work and all but not sure of the hookup.

I was looking at the Precision Marine Kalk reactor. Is this a good reactor? Is their others I should be looking at?

I was looking at the specs and it says "Not for use with direct top-offs from RO or RO/DI units (pressurized applications)". I do use RO/DI for ATO and would like to continue this setup. It uses a solenoid for the ATO I have come on 2 times a day for 30 min. Here is my ATO.
http://www.marinedepot.com/Gap_Products_Level_Loc_Automatic_Top_Off__ATO__Unit_Electric_Powered_Dosing_Pumps_Top_Off-Gap_Products-GA1111-FIDPET-vi.html

My question here is can I use my ATO setup with the Kalk reactor? Can I maybe put the solenoid before the Kalk reactor?? this way the solenoid will close the water before the reactor and not make it pressurized in the actual reactor? Hope that makes sense. :confused:

Like i said, not exactly sure how to hook it up or what brand. But I could use some expert HELP!!!

Bob :)

kretzkiller
08/13/2009, 09:08 AM
I have mine in line with my tunze osmolator. I don't think a small pump will pressurize it enough to cause any harm.

kretzkiller
08/13/2009, 09:10 AM
Sorry, to answer your question, yes, the PM is a good model. I actually bought a Geo on RC used. Basically you have a small pump located in your top off reservoir. When you ATO kicks on the pump it pushes water through your Kalk reactor.

Dobbs1101
08/13/2009, 09:19 AM
I don't use a reservoir. I have the RO/DI hose going directly to my ATO. The Solenoid opens or closes when it is given power. I have it on my AC Jr with a timer to come on 2x a day. I was hoping to add the Kalk reactor somewhere in the ATO setup. hmm still confused.

transd
08/13/2009, 10:10 AM
I have mine GEO Kalk Reactor hooked up to an aqualifter that's pulling water out of a water resevoir based on a timer. Once I get my ATO setup, it will be the same concept, except it will be my ATO initializing the aqualifter instead of a timer.

Dobbs1101
08/13/2009, 12:30 PM
Here is a rough drawing of what I'm talking about. Would this work? bring the hose that usually feeds the float valve to the reactor and from the reactor to the float valve?

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p77/Dobbs1101/Tank%20Video/Kalk.jpg

Rizup
08/13/2009, 05:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15522880#post15522880 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by transd
I have mine GEO Kalk Reactor hooked up to an aqualifter that's pulling water out of a water resevoir based on a timer. Once I get my ATO setup, it will be the same concept, except it will be my ATO initializing the aqualifter instead of a timer.

Are you using a check valve between the aqualifter and the kalk reactor? If so, which one? Thanks.

Dobbs1101
08/17/2009, 10:44 AM
I don't use an aqualifter. I was hoping someone could help with a setup. I would like to use a Kalk reactor with RO/DI and not a reservoir.

Rizup
08/17/2009, 11:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15543846#post15543846 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dobbs1101
I don't use an aqualifter. I was hoping someone could help with a setup. I would like to use a Kalk reactor with RO/DI and not a reservoir.

I was referring to transd, but that's fine. I have mine hooked up and working with a checkvalve right after the aqualifter.

In response to your original post, as far as I know kalk reactors are not meant to be used in a pressurized setup such as what you are proposing. It is stated as such right in the directions for my PM kalk reactor.