PDA

View Full Version : What are people's experiences with Tiger Cowrie snails??????

steri
08/14/2009, 05:29 PM
Good, bad, indifferent?

I'm curious. A store by me has a couple of them. I am only thinking to get them because I have a small (unwanted) mantis in my tank that is eating small turbo snails ( I am in the process of trying to get the mantis out, but he is smart). The mantis does not eat my Mexican Turbos, and the cowries this store has are about twice the size of my mexican turbos.

any thoughts or info on them would be appreciated!

KillerReef
08/14/2009, 06:33 PM
never had one my self, but I have heard they are notorious for knocking over corals because of their size. I personally would concentrate on getting the mantis out before adding anything else, because I would guess that once all the small turbos are gone he will go after the mexicans, and after that the cowries.

mal1099
08/14/2009, 08:38 PM
my tiger cowrie does walk over my star polyps but its very good at keeping my algea down. also i had a small green mantis which i had to tear my tank apart and fresh water dip all the rock and forced it out. it now lives in the sewer. Sorry to all you mantis lovers.

Diadado
09/05/2009, 07:47 AM
Ours ate an entire frag yesterday - one we'd gotten last Saturday :(

GovtCheese
09/05/2009, 10:08 AM
i think that cowries in general are better off in a non reef enviroment :thumbsup: