PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your tank back?

hillscp
08/14/2009, 08:01 PM
Paint? If so what color.

Background? Again, what color?

Nothing?

I'm building my 125 and I'm considering trying to hide plumbing and the wall.

Misled
08/14/2009, 08:07 PM
Mine's painted black. But it's almost fully pink now.

fishuntbike
08/14/2009, 08:21 PM
painted black krylon spray can.

beertech
08/14/2009, 08:42 PM
Window tint for car windows. I got the "limo black" that only lets through 2%. I like being able to see into my tank from the sump room, as it's an inwall.

seafansar
08/14/2009, 08:44 PM
black with krylon spray paint

bohlke
08/14/2009, 08:45 PM
Black posterboard secured with velcro

hillscp
08/14/2009, 08:57 PM
Black seems popular. "Limo Black" window tint sounds Intriguing. Is it spray or an applied film?

That's a nice looking tank Sara (little red house). Your photo really shows the black back. I like it!

prickles
08/15/2009, 12:16 AM
black spray foam backing. Looks like a rock wall if done well.

Snakebyt
08/15/2009, 01:13 AM
i have always painted the back of my tanks black

Frogmanx82
08/15/2009, 07:37 AM
Dark blue foil wrapping paper. I may switch to purple if I can match the coraline algae.

jlemoine2
08/15/2009, 08:07 AM
On one of my tanks I have the black plastic film you get from the LFS taped up (very tacky, but looks good through the tank).

On another tank, I used black Krylon fusion. It looks great and I don't have to worry about it coming down.

However, recently James Fatherree gave a presentation to our local reef club about aquarium lighting. As it turns out, one of the worst things you can do for you lighting is to paint the back surface, since the PAR will plummet in the back portion of the tank. He has extensive data from his tests backing up the claim. He says you can cover the back surface with anything you want as long as it does not "bond" to the glass surface, otherwise the interior reflectivity of the glass is compromised.

After seeing that presentation, I came home and looked through the side walls of my tanks. Looking at the front glass (through the side), all I could see was a mirror reflection of the tank interior (this is good, because light reflects off it as well). Looking at the back wall with plastic, I could still see a reflection. Looking at the back with a painted exterior surface, all I could see is black, so the light was not reflecting off that surface at all.

In summary, despite the good looks of painting the back of a tank, I'll never do it again. I won't use LFS plastic either, which is probably not an option on larger tanks anyway. I'll probably end up using black acrylic or something of that nature.

hillscp
08/16/2009, 08:50 AM
Thanks ladies and gentlemen,

It sounds like one of those form versus function things :)

Maybe a backdrop made of black acrylic or plastic laminate from the borg. The laminate is pretty cheap compared to acrylic and comes in a lot of colors. Hmmm.....

jjstecchino
08/16/2009, 08:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15532212#post15532212 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by beertech
Window tint for car windows. I got the "limo black" that only lets through 2%. I like being able to see into my tank from the sump room, as it's an inwall.

Second that.

Thats what I did. Black ultra dark limo windows tinting. The roll is 24"x6-7'. It is perfect for a 24 high tank. As said is 98% opaque and let you see through from the less lit area to the most lit area. Practically it is dark black if you are looking from inside the tank unless you put a stronger light behind (i.e. a window) If the tank is close to the wall it will be black. It is also easy to apply and it is removable should you change your mind about it. Definitely less messy than paint, and easier to remove.

mfinn
08/16/2009, 10:28 AM
One tank I painted a dark blue and another I used the same color acrylic that was used on my overflow boxes and lined the inside back wall between the overflow boxes with it.
I could have put it on the outside, but I've seen that salt creep can be a problem there.

smokieroom
08/16/2009, 02:30 PM
I painted the back of my 90 gal black and I used latex paint so it can be removed easier if I need to.

Tadashi
08/16/2009, 02:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15533711#post15533711 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jlemoine2

However, recently James Fatherree gave a presentation to our local reef club about aquarium lighting. As it turns out, one of the worst things you can do for you lighting is to paint the back surface, since the PAR will plummet in the back portion of the tank. He has extensive data from his tests backing up the claim. He says you can cover the back surface with anything you want as long as it does not "bond" to the glass surface, otherwise the interior reflectivity of the glass is compromised.

Any possibility of posting his presentation?

Henry Bowman
08/16/2009, 02:39 PM
I was thinking about a semi reflective window tint.

Some are made to reflect the sun so that the car interior does not get as hot.

The up-side of it would be the reflective quality of the tint.

Bad or maybe negative....The back would look funny due to the reflectivity or then maybe it would make the tank look deeper (which is a goal of mine... many tanks do not have any "depth" )

Mike31154
08/16/2009, 05:30 PM
I leave it, coralline & other algae pretty much cover it over time. To me that blends in better with the remaining look of the LR etc. I've even been contemplating sticking some GSP coral on the back and letting it grow away. Looks more natural as opposed to a monochrome painted surface. I can deal with the semi transparent look allowing the plumbing to be somewhat visible. Hardly notice that when I'm viewing what's inside the tank.

Popeye
08/16/2009, 06:00 PM
Had a blue back for years. Didn't like it. Got a new tank with back painted black. Liked it much better.

hillscp
08/16/2009, 06:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15539581#post15539581 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Henry Bowman
I was thinking about a semi reflective window tint.

I was thinking about that too. I'm sure it would give the tank more depth.

Anybody ever silvered their tank back LOL?

Blown76mav
08/16/2009, 09:00 PM
Black vinyl sticker, this way I can remove it if I want.

jlemoine2
08/17/2009, 08:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15539567#post15539567 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tadashi
Any possibility of posting his presentation?

Fatherree did not provide an electronic version of his presentation. I'm under the assumption he likes to travel around the country giving it in person...

Bruno3047
08/17/2009, 12:31 PM
Rock wall:

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p361/Bruno3047/RockWall.jpg

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p361/Bruno3047/F1.jpg

corbett_n
08/17/2009, 01:08 PM
i HANG A BLACK TRASH BAG AND IT WORKS PERECTLY

Rich D
08/17/2009, 01:43 PM
I use Penn Plax double back. On one side it has a deep blue and black on the other.
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/212496/product.web
I havnt used it recently though because my Kole Tang always fights its reflection and hurts itself.... stupid fish.
It looks great and is very easy IMO

GTriever
08/18/2009, 04:40 AM
Construction paper cut to fit and packing tape. Cheap, easy to replace, and the algae growth covers the seams.

TYRYFIN
08/18/2009, 07:53 AM
I went to a sewing store and bought some heavy felt. I then attached clips with two sided tape to the back and sides of the tank, I slit the felt and hooked them on the clips. Felt cost 10-15 and another 5 for the clips at Lowes.

jtrasap
08/18/2009, 08:32 AM
I had the back and sides of my 75g painted black and it looked pretty nice, but my 125g and 180g are both painted blue, and I really like how much brighter the blue looks. I'll try to get some pics.

jtrasap
08/18/2009, 09:13 AM
Here's a pic of my 125 with the blue background
http://i546.photobucket.com/albums/hh402/jtrasap/DSC00640.jpg

My 180 with the blue back

http://i546.photobucket.com/albums/hh402/jtrasap/phonepics024.jpg

Sorry, this is the best pic I can get of the 75 with the black back, it's setting dry in a storage room in my basement. Maybe someone else will post a pic of a black background tank up and running.

http://i546.photobucket.com/albums/hh402/jtrasap/phonepics019.jpg

Sorry for the horrible pics, all I have is my phone camera at the moment.

BonesCJ
08/18/2009, 10:32 AM
I used the black foam and do a wall all across the back of the tank, it looks great, you can attach corals to it and not have to worry about stacking rock so high.

here is a pic

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd273/BonesCJ/DownTheTank1.jpg

hillscp
08/19/2009, 09:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15549919#post15549919 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BonesCJ
I used the black foam and do a wall all across the back of the tank, it looks great, you can attach corals to it and not have to worry about stacking rock so high.

here is a pic

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd273/BonesCJ/DownTheTank1.jpg

A couple of you have mentioned "Foam" What is it and where do you get it? Is it the same stuff used for door insulation?

ReeferCatFish
08/31/2009, 10:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15533711#post15533711 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jlemoine2

Thats a really interesting point to note. So what is the best thing you can use from the point of view of reflectivity? Was a material or process suggested at this presentation?

Thanks in advance for helping!!

-RCF

ReeferCatFish
08/31/2009, 10:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15538114#post15538114 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jjstecchino
Second that.

Thats what I did. Black ultra dark limo windows tinting. The roll is 24"x6-7'. It is perfect for a 24 high tank. As said is 98% opaque and let you see through from the less lit area to the most lit area. Practically it is dark black if you are looking from inside the tank unless you put a stronger light behind (i.e. a window) If the tank is close to the wall it will be black. It is also easy to apply and it is removable should you change your mind about it. Definitely less messy than paint, and easier to remove.

This is a really interesting idea for sure. Can anyone elaborate on how much this stuff costs, where do you get it, and how its applied? Is it really cheaper than paint, which is like $5 a can at the Mega-Lo-Mart?

Thanks everyone!!

-RCF

conorwynne
09/01/2009, 02:26 AM
Nuffink, let it cover in coraline and wierd creatures.

eros
09/01/2009, 04:12 AM
Someone once posted a link somewhere on the forum to a site that documented the amount of light loss due to painting the back panel. It was suggested that something rigid, like a piece of colored acrylic, be suspended or somehow fastened to the back of the aquarium with a gap between it and the glass. If I come across the link I will post it.

cveverly
09/01/2009, 08:23 AM
I also use window tint. I have used the cling type and the more permanent film. Both work very well. The cling is easier to work with but cost a bit more. I paid $12 or $15 and had enough to cover the back of my 160 gallon.

You can get it at any parts store or discount mart that has an automotive section.