PDA

View Full Version : Flow for a 55

bluelair
08/16/2009, 11:00 AM
I keep mostly LPS, a few SPS, duncans, candy cane, 3 frogspawn colonies, one dendro head, a christmas tree worm rock, bunch of shrooms & rics (Florida) (all are well attached). I have a very large, bowling ball sized Green Star Polyps colony rock in the center. Also the various Kenya tree and Xenia, I don't really care about that so much, it grows like weeds.

Right now I run:

1. MaxiJet 1200 at one end with a Hydor Flo rotator attachment, on a timer on/off every 15 minutes, off at night.
2. other end is a Koralia Nano (because I had it), always on.
3. The return from the Fluval 304 (running same direction, but 45 degrees off, as the MaxiJet, always on), near the middle.
4. A Reef Octopus skimmer. The skimmer doesn't put out much flow.

Everything seems happy and I don't get much detritus buildup. The the GSP colony gets the most direct flow. (which is about 8 inches from the Fluval return), which seems to like it, and it creates a great aesthetic.

Is this enough? Enough variation? What signs should I look for to tell if I'm there or I require more?

bdunla1
08/16/2009, 12:03 PM
If everything seems to be doing well right now, then I would say that you have enough flow. The only reason to increase your flow if your animals are already happy is if you notice dead spots in your tank where detritus will accumulate. Also, as your corals grow, you may need to increase your flow.

bluelair
08/16/2009, 12:54 PM
Picture of the tank:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_r-9X2o4p8zw/SohVcsCgqDI/AAAAAAAAC8o/EAwmznrsQUY/s800/55g%20Reef%20156.JPG