PDA

View Full Version : Semilarvatus in a reef?

Joel A
08/16/2009, 11:52 AM
anyone have any success with this one? My thoughts are that it would be similar to keeping a copperband in a reef tank... maybe slightly more prone to nip at shrimp/feather dusters and the like...

I think survival rates and feeding requirements are also somewhat similar to the copperband... so i'm wondering if anyone has kept one of these (or a school/pair of these) successfully in a reef tank?

Ooulophilia
08/16/2009, 12:24 PM
I have kept them but it takes a few months to actually stabilize them to captivity during which time you are gonna probably have to hospitalize them a few times. It sucks, I never recommend butterflies for FO tanks but these guys get sick very easily. I would say they should be kept in a pair and in at least a 225g tank

Jacob D
08/16/2009, 08:14 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1688718

Ooulophilia, what exactly do they get sick with very easily? Also, why would you never recommend butterflies for FO tanks??

Big E
08/17/2009, 02:26 AM
Semis are one of the hardiest BF's you can own. Mine ate any type of food that was presented to them. They are nothing like Copperbands...........on a scale of hardiness & reef safe, Cbb's & Semis are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

You definately won't see your Sps polyps & they'll devour LPS, Mushrooms, Zoos, ect. Dusters & worms will all be eaten...........Some softies might be okay.

Jacob D
08/17/2009, 10:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15542401#post15542401 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Big E
Semis are one of the hardiest BF's you can own. Mine ate any type of food that was presented to them. They are nothing like Copperbands...........on a scale of hardiness & reef safe, Cbb's & Semis are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

That's been my experience which is way I'm curious about Ooulophilia's comments.