PDA

View Full Version : Open Brain Coral on the rocks?

Matt Dean
08/16/2009, 08:01 PM
Can I put my open brain coral on my live rock, or must it be on the substrate?
Real estate is a bit scarce in the tank and I have a great spot on the rocks for it but, of course, only if it will do well. I don't want it to bleach on me. Or can I move the green mushroom - getting big - up onto the rocks?

I have a 46 Gal bow front with 4 T5 bulbs (I think they are 36 or 39 watt) I may replace one or two with actinic bulbs. Is that a good idea, or no?

Thanks!

Toddrtrex
08/16/2009, 08:35 PM
[welcome]

They do best on the sandbed, overnight they can/will really swell up with water, and a chance that they could get damaged if they were on the rocks.

Matt Dean
08/16/2009, 08:38 PM
Thanks Todd, that's what i thought. What about my mushrooms? Is it ok to move those a little higher (half way up) to make room for the brain?

Toddrtrex
08/16/2009, 08:39 PM
Yea, they should be fine, just keep an eye on them, just in case that is too much light at once --- I doubt it will happen, but if it does, just move them down a bit, maybe a 1/4 of the way up.

Matt Dean
08/16/2009, 09:13 PM
Sweet! Thanks a bunch.

david pinder
08/16/2009, 09:20 PM
not to hijack your thread but will angel fish bother open brains have a number of them but not in my tanks with angels, dont want to sacrifice one just to find out

david pinder
08/16/2009, 09:20 PM
not to hijack your thread but will angel fish bother open brains have a number of them but not in my tanks with angels, dont want to sacrifice one just to find out

Shane Hoffman
08/16/2009, 10:33 PM
I have an imperator and flame in my 150 with 2 open brains......niether angel has ever touched one of my brains......

Toddrtrex
08/16/2009, 10:47 PM
Are you talking about a dwarf or large angel.

If you like the brains more, I personally wouldn't risk it. I have a potter's with my one open brain, and she has never touched it. But if she would have I could have easily moved the brain. What you have to ask yourself is are you willing to go through the hassle of getting the fish out if it does go after it.

kkdoughboy
08/16/2009, 10:48 PM
Sorry but I have too. Vodka on the rocks!

scapes
08/17/2009, 07:19 AM
i have a 180g with a rubble rock bottom (1-3" size rocks) i have lobos, scolymias, cynarinas, wellso, and several brains. all have done fine on this for well over a year. i have heard about what todd was talking about, but in my experiences, never had issues. when they swell up, they just swell up around the rocks. rocks have NEVER hurt them

BeanMachine
08/17/2009, 12:16 PM
I have my neon green lobo up on my rockwork and have never had a problem.

It swells up pretty large with the lights off, but like scapes said, it sort of puffs around or on top. Just pick a nice spot, maybe real estate that is not so jagged.

salineh2o
08/17/2009, 01:30 PM
My juvenile Emperor chews up brains like a Zombie...........

You roll the dice you take your chances.

noahm
08/17/2009, 01:41 PM
I think most of the time they will be fine on the rocks even though the prefer the sand bed. I think the issue would be if you had it next to some jagged rock AND had a bit too much flow or wave action. Tissue injury is really the only concern as long as the lighting is appropriate.

Matt Dean
08/17/2009, 01:54 PM
Well, I moved my mushroom and put the brain on the sand. No sense it taking any chances of hurting it. The mushroom should look great where it is, so worked out well.

Thanks for the input.

Popeye
08/17/2009, 09:35 PM
I had mone on rocks for years and never had a problem.

Matt Dean
08/18/2009, 06:19 AM
It's funny. I went to the LFS yesterday and ALL of their brain corals - either for sale, or in display tanks - were up on the rocks. I think I'll still leave mine where it is, but found it interesting.