PDA

View Full Version : Odyssea Power Compacts

jeffltodd
08/17/2009, 11:38 AM
I need to replace my Coralife PCs (changing bulbs and wires/parts totally corroded). Basically many of the parts seem to have been affected by salt corrosion and disintegrated.

I am comparing prices and there seems to be about $150 difference in price when comparing Odyssea with Coralife... usually I say you get what you paid for, but I have seen some mixed reviews of positives and negatives, but seen pretty much the same for Coralife, so want to get others opinions.

I am looking at the 48" with LED moon lights.

From what I see - Odyssea runs about $100 and Coralife runs as high as $300.

sir_dudeguy
08/17/2009, 12:03 PM
I will never purchase anything from jebo/odyssea (same company, just changed name to odyssea) again... This is the inside of the balast after it somehow sparked and had a mini fire. IMO, the balasts are way undersized and the wires way too thin. This balast was for a 2x96w pc. I've seen bigger balasts from better companies that only power 2x65w.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i295/sir_dudeguy/light%20fixture/IMG_0297.jpg

Also, IMO you're better off going with some t5's anyways....more light output, last twice as long, half the power consumption, and the bulbs cost less...not to mention you can have much better colors

Check out reefgeek.com and you can find some pretty good fixtures. I'd try the icecap retro if you have a canopy (thats what i had and it was great) or the sunlight supply if you dont have a canopy. I've also heard that the ATI ones are pretty good too.

loosecannon
08/17/2009, 04:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15544206#post15544206 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jeffltodd
I need to replace my Coralife PCs (changing bulbs and wires/parts totally corroded). Basically many of the parts seem to have been affected by salt corrosion and disintegrated.

I am comparing prices and there seems to be about $150 difference in price when comparing Odyssea with Coralife... usually I say you get what you paid for, but I have seen some mixed reviews of positives and negatives, but seen pretty much the same for Coralife, so want to get others opinions.

I am looking at the 48" with LED moon lights.

From what I see - Odyssea runs about $100 and Coralife runs as high as $300. I have the duel 65 pc for 6 years, duel 96 pc for 5 years and the 4 65 watt pc for 4 years . And never had a problem with them. There bulbs are also the best price .:)