PDA

View Full Version : Copper and my Tusk

Gotsoup
08/17/2009, 12:32 PM
So I lost my GHT and to make matters worse, it introduced Ick into my system. I have two questions.

1. How well do Harlequin Tusk's handle copper
2. I use Copper Power, but my bottle expired in 2008, will this really be an issue I didnt know copper could expire, or should I buy a new bottle?

Thanks

Recty
08/17/2009, 01:15 PM
Personally, if in doubt about any medication, I'd just buy new stuff. Spending $10 is much more preferable to having to damage or even replace your fish.

My tusk didnt handle copper well at all, they are notorious for not doing too well with copper. Kind of a risk you have to take though. You could also do hyposalinity to treat ich, but wrasses in general are known for not doing well with that either.

jwm2k3
08/17/2009, 04:42 PM
I would keep the tusk fed and try some garlic soak for the food. I have had a tusk fight off ich. Hopefully yours can too. In my opinion the tusk is one of the ost beautiful, entertaining fish out there!

Good Luck

shaithis13
08/17/2009, 10:32 PM
one of the shops here keeps copper in their system. theyve had a tusk doing very well in there for quite awhile now. eats like a pig.

reef_enthusiast
08/18/2009, 07:13 AM
I'm currently running copper in my system. Due to my main return pump failing and no water flow other than 1 tunze 6100 for 8 hrs, my tangs broke out with ICH. I'm using Coppersafe and a Salifert Copper test kit. I have my copper levels between 1.0 to 2.0.

I recently purchased an australian tusk from liveaquaria. He's been in the tank since Saturday. He ate immediately and still is doing great in the tank. I also have several wrasses in the tank that didn't seem affected by the copper.

Gotsoup
08/18/2009, 10:59 AM
THanks, I had heard they could go blind from exposure to copper. I am trying a new product called Hebtana, which is reef safe... I have my doubts, but maybe it will do the trick. If it doersnt work I will have to copper the tank, but I have a Marble cat shark and do not want to deal with finding him a new home then reintroducing him later.

aquaticmike
09/22/2009, 06:18 PM
Does anyone know what the best way to entice a wild crosshatch trigger to begin eating?

flameangel88
09/22/2009, 08:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15744488#post15744488 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aquaticmike
Does anyone know what the best way to entice a wild crosshatch trigger to begin eating?

If it's a new fish give it a week to settle in. You can try live clam on half-shell.