PDA

View Full Version : Strange Growth on Green Star Polyp Colony Frag

LakeGirl
08/17/2009, 03:50 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/515/216006Polyp_growth.jpg

Hey Fans,
So, acquired this frag about two months ago. Has been seemingly healthy. About three weeks ago, noticed a strange growth- kind of looks like ears growing.

This photo was taken first thing this morning, with lights off. So, the colony was "sleeping"- which is the best way to view the growth. The colony seems healthy, reacts when crabs forage near and around, but comes out during the day for sunbathing.

Wondering if it is simply colonizing, or if I should be concerned about some kind of worm underneath? Or something else entirely?

I do have some live rock in the tank with numerous tube worms and tiny feather duster worms. Is it possible the worms have invaded the polyp colony?

Thanks!

Octopus8
08/17/2009, 04:13 PM
My huge GSP rock does that all the time. I just cut them off and super glue(gel) them to a piece of live rock rubble. I trade them back to my LFS for $6 credit when they fully attach and fill out.

TellyFish
08/17/2009, 04:15 PM
The mat on the GSP can make some strange formations.

On that note, I will be the first to admit that it does look like an alien of some sort.

LakeGirl
08/17/2009, 04:27 PM
Great! So, its really healthy and happy!

Does anybody separate the mat from the disc upon introducing it into the tank, or at some point? I would love to get rid of the disc and have it attach directly to the LR.

How do you separate and any cautions/risks in doing so?

reefscape15
08/17/2009, 04:39 PM
I doubt you'd be able to get it off the disk without a lot of damage. If you could break the disk into sections, then it would look a little more random instead of a circle of GSP. Once it spreads though, it will start to be hard to tell that there is even a disc under there

seapug
08/17/2009, 05:54 PM
Hard to tell from the photo, but looks like a Tunicate growing on the GSP colony, to me. Can you get more/larger photos? Open a photobucket account and you can post much larger pictures here.

Salamander
08/17/2009, 07:53 PM
Looks like it has ears. Be very quite when talking about fragging it...

Mine used to do that too. Like posted above just rip it off, glue it down and trade it at the LFS.