PDA

View Full Version : T5 Lighting Photo Period Recommendations

1morecoral
08/18/2009, 06:08 AM
I just recently switched from power compact lighting to a 48" ATI Sunpower T5 fixture. I have started it about 8" off the water and will be lowering it over the next few weeks. What would be a suggested photo period for growing sps corals in the top half of the water column ? I have been running the dawn/dusk actinics for ten hours and the daylight and the rest of the actinics for eight hours.

sedor
08/18/2009, 06:17 AM
I would do dawn for 1 hour then, full spectrum for 10 hours, and finish off with another hour of dusk. That's a total of 12 hours lights on.

And BTW you've got a GREAT T5 fixture, one of the best on the market. I'd be willing to say you could grow SPS all over your tank. If I remember correctly 90's are usually 24" tall right? Your right though, you could drop it down another inch or two.

Mark426
08/18/2009, 07:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15548779#post15548779 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ryandlf
I would do dawn for 1 hour then, full spectrum for 10 hours, and finish off with another hour of dusk. That's a total of 12 hours lights on.

Agree

1morecoral
08/18/2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yea, the tank is 24" tall.

Radioheadx14
08/19/2009, 01:27 PM
I have the same fixture over a 90g with mostly sps... I have my 2 bulb blues come on at 2pm, all come on at 5pm, days off at 10 and all off at 11pm. I read that lower photoperiods have benefits. I've gotten great growth and color too.

Mr. Thingdoer
08/19/2009, 01:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15557347#post15557347 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Radioheadx14
I have the same fixture over a 90g with mostly sps... I have my 2 bulb blues come on at 2pm, all come on at 5pm, days off at 10 and all off at 11pm. I read that lower photoperiods have benefits. I've gotten great growth and color too.

I love a good read, so will you please post where you've read this about shorter photo periods? I've read something about that before as well. I'd just like more info.

I keep mine on the same cycle as those mentioned above.

PS Radiohead is the best band ever!

1morecoral
08/19/2009, 08:09 PM
Yea, I am going to shorten my photoperiod as I started out with my all bulbs being on for 8 hours and 2 blue bulbs on an hour before and an hour after the daylight bulbs for ten days and some of the acros are paling out on me. I hope I am not to late for them to recover and gain their colors back. Along with the shorter photoperiod I am placing eggcrate over the top of the aquarium and some screening over the top of that as well to defuse the light. Over the next few weeks I will remove the screen and slowly increase my photoperiod, watching the critters and let them be the guide. This is what Reef Geek suggests with the light fixture to start. I wish now I would have followed their recommendations at the start.

Mr. Thingdoer
08/19/2009, 09:18 PM
I lost a whole bunch of color when I switched bulbs on my MH. I upgraded to a decent T5 fixture and everything started to color back up within a week or two. I wouldn't worry too much. You'll get that color back if you do it right.

1morecoral
08/20/2009, 06:48 PM
I lost a whole bunch of color when I switched bulbs on my MH. I upgraded to a decent T5 fixture and everything started to color back up within a week or two. I wouldn't worry too much. You'll get that color back if you do it right.

Thanks, I'll just take it slow...Dang, the patience thing again.