PDA

View Full Version : Queen angel with acne??

Coolibabes
08/18/2009, 05:17 PM
Hi all

I have recently noticed that my queen angel are getting some indentations on her face, below her eye and back of her head (see pic below). Just wondering if it is something I should be concerned about? It doesn't seem to be affecting her at all as she is eating well along with no peculiar behaviour.

I have noticed similar indentations on my juvenile Emporer angel as well.

Maybe they hitting puberty and a good acne cream will help?? :lol:

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn13/BooleyMan/IMG_0494.jpg

Gwynhidwy
08/19/2009, 07:07 AM
The beginnings of HLLE?

Coolibabes
08/20/2009, 05:38 PM
If it is HLLE, I am completely stumped. Based on what I have researched thus far, HLLE is predominantly caused by poor water quality and/or dietary deficiency.

Where water quality is concerned, I religiously do weekly a 200lt NSW water change and to my knowledge the water parameters are as it should be. I have a skimmer rated to almost double my water volume and regularly produces skimmate.

As for their diet, I am feeding my fish at least five different types of food which all my fish are eating, from NLS pellets to DIY to fresh and frozen foods.

I am running Activated Carbon at the moment and I have read that it could contribute to HLLE. I will be taking it out of my canister filter tonight and see how it goes.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

OasisTF
08/21/2009, 12:59 AM
try grounding probe for stray voltage....

Hope that helps

wooden_reefer
08/21/2009, 11:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15565069#post15565069 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Coolibabes
If it is HLLE, I am completely stumped. Based on what I have researched thus far, HLLE is predominantly caused by poor water quality and/or dietary deficiency.

Where water quality is concerned, I religiously do weekly a 200lt NSW water change and to my knowledge the water parameters are as it should be. I have a skimmer rated to almost double my water volume and regularly produces skimmate.

As for their diet, I am feeding my fish at least five different types of food which all my fish are eating, from NLS pellets to DIY to fresh and frozen foods.

I am running Activated Carbon at the moment and I have read that it could contribute to HLLE. I will be taking it out of my canister filter tonight and see how it goes.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Many people place a titanium grounding rod to drain the tank of voltage. Some people believe voltage is a cause of HLLE. This idea seems to have lost momentum. At least here it is not discussed much, if I am right.

fishguy85
08/21/2009, 01:48 PM
I also think that the grounding probe idea isn't very current (pardon my pun).

Bill

OasisTF
08/22/2009, 12:08 AM
you have nothing to loose by trying it, you might be suprised

RyanSweatt2004
09/02/2009, 09:14 PM
stray voltage in the water can cause the same erosion's around your queens face and head. I second getting a ground probe for your system.

Coolibabes
09/02/2009, 11:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15567206#post15567206 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by OasisTF
try grounding probe for stray voltage....

Hope that helps

Pardon the ignorance, but how exactly do I do this?:confused:

RyanSweatt2004
09/03/2009, 09:09 PM
You can just buy a ground probe from most supliers, DR foster and smiths has them for cheep. All you need to do is place it in you tank or sump and then plug it it to an outlet and it will create a path for any stray voltage to travel. Its not only good to have for your livestock but its a safety mechanism for yourself, should something like a pump or heater corrode, break or short out