PDA

View Full Version : modding a skimmer????

GPhiAce
08/18/2009, 07:03 PM
I am not sure of the model number, but it is a EuroReef skimmer about 4-5 years old. It is 21.5Hx6w with a sedra 5000 (i believe) if that helps. I would like to know if there are any mods to do to make skimmers external instead of internal, propeller mods, or any other mods to increase the performance of a skimmer. I am pleased with the overall performance except it is a pain to readjust when needed. I would like to know if there is a mod to make it an external skimmer. I thought that this may work: Take it out and run a line from the overflow (feed it by gravitation) or from the sump to the pump inlet and use a gate valve from the outlet (for tuning) and run that back to the sump. Thanks in advance.

allactiondan
08/18/2009, 09:17 PM
You can turn your euro reef into an external skimmer by doing what you said. Do a Google search or search here on RC for "Mesh wheel mod", "gate valve mod" and "recurc mod" The recurc mod turns your ER rs-180 (or what every model you have) to a RC-180. Check the euro reef site, there is a diagram and some other info about recurc mods. Hope that helps.

Dan