PDA

View Full Version : I hate stock list threads.

Juggler
08/18/2009, 09:57 PM
But i am making one ^_^ I had on a few weeks back, but this is different.

I have been thinking about my 180 fowlr. I am going in a totally different direction and i want some large fish.

Tank:
180 glass
2x 250 watt 15k halides
55 sump
400 lbs of rock (there wont be this much after i re-scape the tank)
coralife super skimmer 220
2x hydor 4's
mag 9.5 return

I know im going to have a hippo tang and orange dot rabbitfish in there.

I realized that i cant decide on what fish i want. seems like im going for lionfish>trigger, but im recosidering. I just look at all these big awesome triggers and i just dont like the risk of them going nuts.

also im worried i will have a tank that looks like it has no fish.

I would like some suggestions.
Is there risk with keeping 2 volitan lions together?

right now im thinking:
blue hippo
orange spot rabbit
volitan lion
miniatus grouper or panther...which?
queen angel
red coris wrasse.
something??? i just cant think of what would work!
maybe this is overstocked? i have a crappy coralife super skimmer and it pulls just as well as my buddys asmg4 on the same size tank.

Also would an adult lionfish eat a 9" coris wrasse? there is one at my lfs ive been eyeballing.

Thanks
Sam

Juggler
08/18/2009, 10:07 PM
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h125/Joker4090/IMG_3932.jpg
as it stands... I plan to go for an island look with lots of visible sand this time.

Juggler
08/18/2009, 10:13 PM
also, do you think an adult lion or grouper could eat my palm sized maroon clown? I love her and dont want to get rid of it.

This is here near a large 8" tusk.
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h125/Joker4090/IMG_2764.jpg
she is bigger now.

I know lions can eat things half their length, but do you think this could work?

Mayesj101
08/19/2009, 07:19 AM
Lionfish would almost certainly make a meal of the clown...there've been quite a few threads recently, actually, on Lions going after even large fish-I remember one where it killed a butterfly and almost killed a Tusk like yours (beautiful tusk by the way). I'd skip on the lionfish unless it's a species tank.

anbosu
08/19/2009, 08:01 AM
I have never had a lionfish eat or injure another tankmate. I think if you have a hyper aggressive tank you can have problems, but generally they are great community fish as long as the other fish don't fit in its mouth.

In my opinion there is no comparison between a miniatus and a panther grouper. You can see my miniatus to the left.

Eventually the queen will outgrow your 180, but should be fine for a while. Overally I think you have a really good list -- my only concern is the aggression of the miniatus. I recently acquired one from a friend who was moving, and it is the most aggressive fish in my 120.

Juggler
08/19/2009, 12:27 PM
thanks guys

Sitarangi
08/19/2009, 01:00 PM
How about a dwarf lion?

Juggler
08/19/2009, 08:57 PM
I just am not a fan of dwarf lions. I have a 24 gallon that i have been looking to put a fuzzy into. but the volitan lion just does it for me haha.

Any stock suggestions?

thanks
sam

Juggler
08/19/2009, 09:47 PM
Also i had no idea miniatus were so mean, i thought groupers were peaceful but would just eat anything they can. What else could i replace a grouper with? i just cant think of cool fish.

no eels.

Sitarangi
08/19/2009, 10:34 PM
How bout one of the more docile and mild mannered triggers like a Xanthichthys? I don't know how well they are around lions, im sure it depends on the fish.

namxas
08/20/2009, 09:09 AM
FWIW, i've never had any species of lion bother its tankmates either. the only fish i've had that ever gave me trouble in that respect was a snowflake moray, a banana wrasse, and an Arothron puffer (after it got some size on it). my picasso trigger was a bit of a butt, however it never got nasty...just pecking order at feeding time stuff.

Juggler
08/20/2009, 12:34 PM
I am seriously considering a male blue throat. That is a gorgeous fish under bluish lighting. I heat they are really calm, but i dont want any trouble and the lion is a sure thing.

However i think i am going to pass on the grouper at this point. I just hate getting rid of fish down the road. And im not a fan of orange blurs.

Sitarangi
08/20/2009, 05:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15563322#post15563322 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Juggler
[B]I am seriously considering a male blue throat. That is a gorgeous fish under bluish lighting. I heat they are really calm, but i dont want any trouble and the lion is a sure thing.

Ya supposedly their puppies. You'll find out really quick if hes picking on the lion

Juggler
08/20/2009, 06:47 PM
Volitan lion
blue throat trigger
blue hippo tang
rabbitfish
queen
naso tang

any one else thinking of substitutes or additions?

Juggler
08/20/2009, 08:38 PM
could a coris and tusk work?

jayb12
08/20/2009, 09:01 PM
im putting a coris and a tusk together i had a thread a while back and got approval across the board.

im also going to aquire some 4" plus maroons for my 250 as well. my lion hasent even tried to eat my "test fish, domino damsel" and has been very good with other tank mates.

Juggler
08/21/2009, 08:03 AM
Thanks!

Wow its settled!

Blue hippo tang
rabbitfish
queen angel
naso tang/blue throat trig, not sure yet.
volitan lion
red coris
tusk
maroon

And it shouldnt be hard adding the queen last because they are impossible to find here.

anbosu
08/21/2009, 08:09 AM
I think I'd go with the trigger, the naso will eventually get too big for a 180, although it would be fine for a long time.

Juggler
08/21/2009, 08:12 PM
I guess we will see which i find first.

rusty-spoons
08/22/2009, 01:35 PM
Why so much light for a fowlr?

Juggler
08/22/2009, 05:49 PM
Sexiness