PDA

View Full Version : Lr

crimsontopper
08/19/2009, 01:36 PM
i have an established tank (4 years) can i add LR from the store, straight from their tank to mine or do i need to cure it or something else?

100%hydrophylic
08/19/2009, 01:42 PM
my lfs has display tanks with fish in them already. they keep 100% cured live rock in these. if your going to add any rock try to buy from their displays. usually it will be a bit more expensive because youl probably get like a few zoanthid hitchhikers and the rocks will be coverd in coraline. it might still have a really really smalll amount of ammonia afterward. just my opinion

FirstContact
08/19/2009, 02:59 PM
Everbody says to cure LR. But I was at a lecture this spring where a coral/LR farmer was really upset. He mentioned putting all his efforts into having stuff grow on them and then having people kill a lot of it off.

I seeded my tank with dead rock that I placed in a friends aquarium for a couple of months and a cup of live sand from the same and the LFS.

scuba guy ron
08/19/2009, 04:47 PM
I added "semi cured" lr to my 4 yr old system. Created a mini cycle which was fine. not soo bad. just had to clean the glass more for about two weeks. The piece I added was a large piece though.

I later added some medium size pieces after this mini cycle(size I am determining by the size of rocks in my tank). I had no cycle at all.

If you have alot of lr in your tank and add a small piece compared to the overall amount of rock in there you should be fine.