PDA

View Full Version : Sterilizing a tank/rock/equipment for sales purposes?

psimitry
08/19/2009, 03:13 PM
So I have this biocube right now. It's currently my only remaining reef due to outside circumstances, and it's not working out too well.

When I move, I will be transferring its inhabitants to my 90 gallon tank and reinstalling my halides. BUT, I'd like to be able to sell this cube. The problem with the cube is that it is absolutely overrun with bryopsis. There pretty much isn't a single surface in the tank that isn't covered in it.

People who have inquired about buying the tank from me are wondering if it will include the rock, and I'd like to be able to say yes since the particular pieces of rock I chose were really quite nice looking, but before I can figure out whether or not I can sell the tank, I need to get rid of the bryopsis. Permanently.

One method I thought was changing the water over from saltwater to a nice 40% vinegar solution. I figure that should kill any bryopsis and any spores in the tank. But I don't think that would do the rock any favors. I've heard of boiling the rocks, but I'm not sure if that would work or not.

Any thoughts?

HighlandReefer
08/19/2009, 03:45 PM
Soaking the rock, sand, equipment in a bleach solution first will serve to kill the bryopsis best. You will probably have to repeat this process until all organic matter is gone from the rock.

Soaking in vinegar after the bleach is completely removed will help remove phosphate and heavy metals from the rock and sand and also help dissolve the buildup (which can contain contaminates) on your glass and equipment.

psimitry
08/19/2009, 04:20 PM
Should I just replace the saltwater with a light bleach/freshwater solution? Would that not serve to contaminate the water later and kill potential tank life?

Also - will the vinegar solution not tend to dissolve the rock?

bertoni
08/19/2009, 04:21 PM
The bleach approach should work. You likely could get rid of the Bryopsis by removing it by hand for a while, while not feeding the system. That'd be a lot more work, though.

HighlandReefer
08/19/2009, 05:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15558311#post15558311 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by psimitry
Should I just replace the saltwater with a light bleach/freshwater solution? Would that not serve to contaminate the water later and kill potential tank life?

Also - will the vinegar solution not tend to dissolve the rock?

"Chlorine bleach is another accepted liquid sterilizing agent. Household bleach consists of 5.25% sodium hypochlorite. It is usually diluted to 1/10 immediately before use."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterilization_(microbiology)

It may be best to treat the rock with a product used to remove chlorine from your LFS after you soak it with bleach.

Using Vinegar will dissolve rock and that is the way it will remove phosphates & heavy metals if you wish to remove these from the rock. Vinegar has been used for many years as a sterilizing agent, but is not as effective as bleach.

psimitry
08/19/2009, 06:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15558318#post15558318 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bertoni
The bleach approach should work. You likely could get rid of the Bryopsis by removing it by hand for a while, while not feeding the system. That'd be a lot more work, though.

You haven't seen the amount of bryopsis in the tank. I ran it without any lights or life in the tank for almost 5 months. It still grew like a weed. My guess would be that it was leeching out phosphates and getting light from the ambient light in the room.

Then I added life back into it and the bryopsis overgrew anything and everything in the tank.

It's hell.

azsaltman
08/19/2009, 06:25 PM
I use a cheap sprayer from Home Depot and mix a 5parts water to 1 part Muriatic Acid for pools..

Works wonders on calcium buildup.. And will neutralize most other things.. And best of all, doesn't take the time of Vineager.. ** It's cheaper too ** :)

HighlandReefer
08/20/2009, 07:29 AM
psimitry,

With the amount of Byopsis you have on your rock, you will have to soak it for a 24 hr. period in the proper bleach solution and then remove as much vegative material as possible. Then repeat this procedure until it all is gone. The rock will be completely dead. I would not even think of using your rock unless this was done. :)