PDA

View Full Version : How do I rid my tank of Ctenophores?

muhnandr
08/19/2009, 03:36 PM
Had an outbreak of Ctenophores (comb jellies) in my frag tank about a month ago and they are still around and seem to be flourishing! From everything I read, they should have been gone in a couple weeks. They are really starting to bum out (and I think have been responsible for killing) some of my zoos/palys. How do I get rid of them? I have a 30 gallon frag tank with a 29 gallon sump. I have a ton of flow so they mostly attach to the eggcrate and to my corals at night. I do not have a skimmer as really dont keep fish in there and dont feed that often. Would a skimmer solve the problem? I bought a six-line to throw in there hoping it might eat them, but he doesn't touch them. Is there anything that I can dose that wont hurt coral or clean up crew (snails,crabs,bristles, stars)? Please help, they are really annoying me! Thanks

sunfishh
08/22/2009, 12:14 PM
I am not really sure because I don't know how big they are, but I would consider removing them manually using a turkey baster

muhnandr
08/22/2009, 04:10 PM
tried that route. quite small and getting far too numerous

redfishsc
08/24/2009, 04:46 PM
Putting a powerful mechanical filter on the tank should suck out a LOT of them. Either a fine filter sock, a Magnum 350 or HOT Magnum (either with the micron cartridge) or something like that.

Be sure to clean it out daily.....

Also, I do not know if ctenophores can release toxins.... if they can, beware this method and run a LOT of carbon.

And yes, a skimmer should suck out a lot of them if they are small.

When I lived on the Carolina coast, they'd swarm by the millions at night, where I'd toss my cast net for shrimp, and their bioluminescence would light up the water green.

Mess with your tank at night and see if they light up--- swirl a net around on them.