PDA

View Full Version : Questions on chilling a tank

zezeta
08/19/2009, 05:56 PM
Alright my tank has been running in the low 80s for the last few days since I set it up. Mostly 81-82 when the lights are off and 83-84 when the lights are on. This is with me keeping the canopy doors open though. When they're closed I've seen the temp get as high as 85.

I know that you can use fans to help create evaporation which in turn cools the tank but I was wondering what would be the best way to go about this.

My canopy is completely covered on all sides and the air has no way to escape except for the hole that I drilled for all the light cables to exit. So even if I add a fan to blow across the sump or the tank my guess it won't do too much since the heat in the canopy will still be very warm.

I don't mind drilling the canopy but it would save some hassle if I don't have to. Would two computer fans blowing across the water in the canopy work if I don't do anything else to the canopy or should I go ahead and drill two holes to help allow the hot air to escape the canopy?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

(at this point maybe I should have just created a topic a few days ago that says help me answer a new question every day because that's what I feel like I doing) :lol:

MrRyanT
08/19/2009, 06:16 PM
Blowing fans across the sump water will give the same effect. Do you have room to put them there?

badwrasse
08/19/2009, 06:40 PM
a fan on your sump will work but IMO fans in you canopy is better because it will also help with the gas exchange.

if you screwed some vent holes in the top but the fans on each side one blowing in and one out you should be good on both aspects.

azsaltman
08/19/2009, 07:08 PM
^^^ Agree with Badwrasse..

Fans in your canopy are better. In my experience, I would do both. Have a fan on your sump to bring temps down, and drill the canopy to exhaust the heat in there.

Just make sure you don't use Cheap fans from Radio Shack. They're not rated for the high humidity/salt air of the tank. IceCap and Coralife both sell fans that are more suited to the job.

badwrasse
08/19/2009, 07:27 PM
+1 on icecap fans they have one with a thermostat and they will only come one when it to hot in your canopy

Flipper62
08/19/2009, 07:58 PM
Fans will work just fine, However you will have a lot more water evaporation. You will need to use a RO/DI auto top off ( ATO ) to keep the water level. If you dont use a ATO you salinity can jump around.

I personaly like using a chiller, It keeps the water temp where I want it & with very little water evaporation.

Flipper62
08/19/2009, 08:05 PM
I was just re-reading your post.

Is your hood a home made hood ?

The hood should be open on the top and the back. If not, its definitely going to trap the heat in.

If not the top, at least the back

reefscape15
08/19/2009, 08:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15558811#post15558811 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by badwrasse
a fan on your sump will work but IMO fans in you canopy is better because it will also help with the gas exchange.

if you screwed some vent holes in the top but the fans on each side one blowing in and one out you should be good on both aspects.

+1 with this statement. One fan in/one fan out. An extra vent or two in the very top will help some heat escape also.

koranAngel
08/19/2009, 08:07 PM
fans are a good idead

i tend to use an older method
which is frozen bottle of water to keep temp down does the the trick
has any1 else tried this?

zezeta
08/19/2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone! So would it be better to drill the holes in the top of the canopy, on the sides, or on the back?

I will go and get some fans in the next day or two. I do have room to install a fan in the sump as well. I think three fans would be too much but I will try to install some fans in the canopy. If that isn't enough then I think I'll install one in the sump.

zezeta
08/19/2009, 08:29 PM
I bought the canopy with the tank and stand. The tank is an AGA 75 gal with built in overflow. I don't know if the canopy and stand were custom made though.

I really don't want to buy a chiller because of the cost unless someone knows where to get a cheap chiller.

I'm hoping that by drilling one or two holes in the canopy the hot air can escape. I might try that first and then if the tank still gets hot install a fan or two.

I only have powercompacts and a mag 9.5 so they shouldn't be producing a lot of heat. I think its mainly that the hot air has no where to go.

reefamundo
08/19/2009, 08:30 PM
If the back of your stand is open, I've seen folks with great results simply by taking a household fan, sitting it beside the stand, and blowing it between the wall and the back of the stand.

It might be worth trying because it's easy and cheap.

zezeta
08/19/2009, 08:35 PM
Yeah my stand is open in the back. I'll have to go and try that right now! Thanks! I'll let you know how it works out.

Flipper62
08/19/2009, 09:22 PM
Adding a few small computer fans in the hood is never a bad idea. I will help cool the water & help with the gas exchange.

If you add one of those cheep clip-on fans to cool the sump water, that will send cooler water going back to the tank.

Just remember that you will need to keep a good eye on the water evaporation. If your gone all day, You should look into a ATO so you salinity doesn't jump around

badwrasse
08/19/2009, 09:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15559349#post15559349 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by koranAngel
fans are a good idead

i tend to use an older method
which is frozen bottle of water to keep temp down does the the trick
has any1 else tried this?

in a pinch but not practical

badwrasse
08/19/2009, 09:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15559509#post15559509 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefamundo
If the back of your stand is open, I've seen folks with great results simply by taking a household fan, sitting it beside the stand, and blowing it between the wall and the back of the stand.

It might be worth trying because it's easy and cheap.

I have done this on very hot days and it does work but do you really want to have to do this all the time? Not me,... I have a clip on fan on my sump only and it does fine BUT my PH is always low end 7.8 after lights come on, wish I would have put fans in my canopy, but this is just my opinion take it for what its worth

badwrasse
08/20/2009, 12:02 AM
zezeta have you tried dropping the house temp a couple degrees

BurntOutReefer
08/20/2009, 12:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15560666#post15560666 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by badwrasse
zezeta have you tried dropping the house temp a couple degrees

couple more weeks and it wont be much of an issue....LOL

get some dc pc fans and put thoseon teh back...also note that it will raise your evap rate

zezeta
08/20/2009, 06:07 AM
I have thought about lowering the house temp but with the canopy completely enclosed I don't think it would help the tank much.

Also I live in Florida so it's going to stay hot here for awhile.

I'm going to drill some holes in the canopy today and see if that allows the air to escape. If that doesn't help then I'll install some fans. As long as I keep the canopy doors open for now the temp doesn't get higher then 83.

NirvanaFan
08/20/2009, 06:20 AM
Zezeta, I put computer fans in my canopy this past weekend. I just took some pictures but I have to get ready for work. I'll post them up later this morning.

NirvanaFan
08/20/2009, 07:10 AM
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t171/NirvanaFan01234/DSC_0215.jpg

You'll have to excuse the fan controller just hanging there on the side of the canopy. I haven't gotten around to making an acrylic box for it yet. Maybe that will happen this weekend.

The holes were cut using a router. Each hole took about 15 minutes because I was taking my time and it was my first time using my new router. Right now two of the fans are blowing air into the canopy, and two are blowing out.

I used a computer power supply to power the fan controller, which distributes power to the fans. You have to cut a few wires from the plug that connects to the motherboard and splice them together to get the power supply to always be on.

I got the fan controller because I wasn't sure how loud the fans were going to be. They are barely noticeable when the tv in the room is off and you are standing right next to the tank. As soon as you turn the TV on or there is conversation, you can't hear them. I believe the fans are rated for 32 CFM @ 14 dB. The fan controller isn't needed.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'm more than happy to answer them.

reefscape15
08/20/2009, 03:35 PM
Vent holes are best put in the top of the canopy, as heat rises. Fans can be put anywhere, but if you having one blow in, you may not want to have it blowing directly down onto the water, as it may blow dust and such directly into the water

NirvanaFan
08/20/2009, 05:10 PM
sorry, those were supposed to be different pictures, but you get the idea. I put these fans in not to keep temperature down, but to eliminate the condensation that builds up inside the canopy. They also help to cool the bulbs inside the canopy, hopefully increasing the life.

reefamundo
08/20/2009, 05:12 PM
Based upon a class I had years ago on cooling electronics, you can obtain maximum cooling by having your fans force air into the canopy. It creates high pressure inside the canopy which tends to keep the dust out. If you use the fans to suck air out, it creates low pressure inside which tends to suck dust particles, etc. from the house air into the tank.

reefscape15
08/20/2009, 05:22 PM
Reefamundo - I agree in a "pressurized" canopy, it would help keep dust out, just like a pressurized spray booth forces air into the room, and then it leaks out the cracks and such. However, to make this possible and clean at the same time, you'd have to have a bunch of filters over the back of your fans. I'm sure something can be rigged up, but I wonder how much air flow you'd be loosing with the smaller computer type fans if they had a filter on them. But it is still an awesome idea, if it would work well!

reefamundo
08/20/2009, 08:20 PM
I agree that the ideal scenario would be to filter the incoming air, but as you stated, you will lose too much airflow. And, the key to the cooling is increased airflow = increased evaporation. Although you get a little dust inside, it is not perceptible. I agree that the alternatives appear to use a lot more fan volume or ... spring for a chiller. Hey, one can dream :-)

zezeta
08/21/2009, 05:38 AM
Well I went ahead and drilled some holes in the top of the canopy for ventilation and it seems to have dropped the temperature a little bit. I also ordered some fans and drilled holes for them already as well. So once I get the fans in and have them running I should be good.

What would be good to cover the holes so fish don't jump into the fans or through the fans when they're off? I was thinking either the screen material people use for screen doors or some kind of mesh. Also I need to cover my overflow so if its something that could cover both that would be good.

Thanks for the pictures NirvanaFan! That definitely helped! And thats to everyone else as well!

reefamundo
08/21/2009, 06:36 PM
Glad tha air holes have already had an effect.

Not sure what kind of jumping fish you have :-), nor do I have a feel for how high the fans are above the water. That being said, I would think the odds are darn small that a fish happens to jump high enough to hit a fan. Plus, based upon the previous posts, I expect you will have the fans blowing into the tank, so they can't get sucked in.

Although I can picture a nice aquarium cartoon about it :-) Good luck with the fan install.