PDA

View Full Version : Reef Keeper Elite/Lite vs Neptune Aquacontroller Jr

Sooners
08/19/2009, 05:07 PM
Which of the captioned controllers is best, all-in-all? Which is easiest to program and functions well, without problems (two primary criteria for me). I don't need much in the way of complexity or elaborate features, just something to control a fan, heater, and maybe some lights? Pros/cons of each product line? In another thread, a person suggested the RKE or RKL in lieu of a controller such as the JBJ digital temp controller. Thoughts? Need some help from those who have used one of these controllers so I don't toss money away on something poorly designed or that is overkill. Thanks.

addicted2reefin
08/19/2009, 05:13 PM
im in the market for one, and im leaning towards the rkl.
i dunno why, but it just seems better to me

Mr. Thingdoer
08/19/2009, 05:43 PM
I was looking to get the RKL as well (hard to beat at $99). I have a friend who has the RKE, and he recommended that I get the ACjr instead because of Customer Support issues.

DaveMorris
08/19/2009, 06:06 PM
Support questions posted on the DA support forum get answered usually same day. I'm not sure what customer service issues your friend had, but I would be surprised if it was the same now.

Asking which controller is better is a very subjective question. Both are very powerful and very capable controllers. It really comes down to features that are important to you and whether or not a particular controller can do what you want.

Mr. Thingdoer
08/19/2009, 06:15 PM
He's also a member of this forum, so I'll see if he can chime in.

Basically he isn't able to monitor his PH, so he sent his probe in. They sent it back saying that it worked. He then sent his unit in, and it was also tested as functioning properly. It just doesn't work, and that's where it stands. He would have liked to have had his newly purchased unit replaced with one that works, but that wasn't his experience.

Sooners
08/19/2009, 06:22 PM
DaveMorris - Well, can you evaluate the two based on the criteria I listed? Being ease of programming, for example, for doing simply controlling of a heater, fan and lights? As for controlling a heater, how accurate is it? For example, can you program one or either to come on when the tank is at 82, run a fan until it gets to 81.5, then off?

James77
08/19/2009, 06:39 PM
Both work well, and you would not be throwing away money on either.

Ive used the ACJr and currently have the RKE. I'd say the RKE is less complicated to program, it is all easy selections. The AC can be a PITA with its line by line programming, but it is still effective. For what you need it for, pretty much a glorified timer, neither will be complicated.
I agree with just buying an entire controller system as opoosed to a temp only controller.

James77
08/19/2009, 06:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15559081#post15559081 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sooners
Being ease of programming, for example, for doing simply controlling of a heater, fan and lights? As for controlling a heater, how accurate is it? For example, can you program one or either to come on when the tank is at 82, run a fan until it gets to 81.5, then off?

Both can do the above easily. The ACjr uses line by line programming(ie if 8:00 then A on, if 9:00 then a off, if temp >82 then Aoff, etc,). The RK's use simple timers and alarms( Channel 1 time on, time off-- and Alarms- if temp is >82, the alarm is triggered, and can trigger any timer).

Sooners
08/19/2009, 07:17 PM
I was looking at the RK website and index of topics and discussion. The people voicing problems for this and that is a little disconcerting....

Mr. Thingdoer
08/19/2009, 07:30 PM
I'm in the same boat. The price is right, but I want it to function.

To be perfectly honest, I can't afford the Aqua Controller right now, but am wondering if I should hold out until I can afford it, or just buy the RKL. It would be nice to hear some stories about how DA has taken care of people with problematic controllers.

Sooners
08/19/2009, 07:36 PM
Yea, I don't even care about controlling lights (basic timer handles that). Just want something to keep a heater under control and run a small fan on the sump to control any excess heat. That's kinda why I thought a Ranco dual temp controller would be nice and simple. Does no more, no less. You probably can't keep as tight a lid on temp swings with the Ranco (more of a + or -1 type device). Maybe that's the knock on it, plus not having other possible controlling functions / expandability like a RK or Aquacontroller....

Macimage
08/19/2009, 07:38 PM
I've had my two AC II's for probably 7-9 years and have never a problem with either one. I am still using them today on my 180 and 225.

Joyce

Mr. Thingdoer
08/19/2009, 07:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15559572#post15559572 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Macimage
I've had my two AC II's for probably 7-9 years and have never a problem with either one. I am still using them today on my 180 and 225.

Joyce

That seems to be the story with everybody I know with the AC controllers. 7-9 years and still going strong.

Sooners
08/19/2009, 08:08 PM
Macimage - How easy/difficult is the AC to program? I peaked at the manual on their website - looks less that crystal clear, but perhaps it's intuitive when it's in front of you or the website has FAQs or something?

Macimage
08/19/2009, 10:19 PM
It really is not difficult. You basically scroll through the menus with the Up and Down buttons and then hit the Select button when you get to the menu or setting you want.

You may want to consider a good used AC II as they actually have more functionality than the AC jr.

Joyce

Mr. Thingdoer
08/19/2009, 10:56 PM
I actually made a post on another forum asking a few questions about the RKL. There seems to be a lot of RKL users there. So far it's been 100% positive feedback from that other bunch of reef nerds :)

I might actually go with the RKL.

d2mini
08/20/2009, 07:26 AM
I went with the RKE.
From my research, going with either RK seemed liked the better choice over the long haul. Initial bugs have been worked out and it's totally upgradeable with firmware updates. Sounds like lots of exciting stuff to come. And now after using it, I have no regrets. The only thing that sucks is the manual. But they will answer your questions on the support forum and like said above, you usually get answers the same day, if not within an hour or two. I had a temp probe go bad on me and they were quick to diagnose the issue and offer to send me a new one.

ecoreefer
08/20/2009, 07:34 AM
While I can't comment on any Neptune controllers (since I've never used theirs), I can comment on DA's products. I have just set up my RKE on my 90, and the system has run flawlessly from minute #1. Very easy to program, expandable beyond recognition (I know you said you really don't want anything complex, but its so easy to expand with the RKE as your tank grows down the road). What sold me on the RKE was DA's dedication to rolling out new modules/accessories, as well as talking with numerous RKE owners who have been completely satisfied with their support. I've barely scratched the surface of the systems possibilities, but so far I have programmed my lighting (2x250 HQI plus LED moonlights), 2 heaters (for redundancy), skimmer, BRS dual reactor, Fuge lighting (reverse cycle from display lighting), 2 K4's on wavemaker program, temperature alarm which will shut down heaters/lights should tank overheat, ph, ORP & temp. I'm working on getting my ATO ready -once everything arrives that will be programmed into the RKE as well. All of this took about an hour and a half total to set up. Sorry, got off on tangent. Hope that helps your decision.

evergreenreeftank
08/20/2009, 08:53 AM
I have the RKL and absolutely love it! The price is right, can be expanded and is ultra easy to program. I think they also have an upgrade program if you ever want to move up to the RKE.

Hal
08/20/2009, 10:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15561604#post15561604 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ecoreefer
I've barely scratched the surface of the systems possibilities, but so far I have programmed . . . skimmer, BRS dual reactor. . .
How did you program your skimmer and reactor?

I'm trying to figure out why you would want your reactor to run less than 24/7? Same for the skimmer unless you hooked up a float switch to the collection cup.

ecoreefer
08/20/2009, 11:00 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15562561#post15562561 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hal
How did you program your skimmer and reactor?

I'm trying to figure out why you would want your reactor to run less than 24/7? Same for the skimmer unless you hooked up a float switch to the collection cup.

Sorry, guess that was a little confusing...both run 24/7, except for standby mode where they will shut down when I'm performing a WC.