PDA

View Full Version : What to do ?

BackSpin
08/19/2009, 05:37 PM
Hello I am in need of what to do, I have a large corner tank and will be putting a outlet in the wall above the tank for the lights and am trying to figure out how to get this right my problem is I can not just run a outlet I need to have it controllable so I was going to install outlet and below tank wire a male extention cord to the romex in a box to be able to plug into my RKE, or would it be better to just run a box at top and box at bottom wired with outlets no power and then make a short double male plug cord to come from box to RKE to controll lights. ??

uncleof6
08/19/2009, 05:50 PM
They actually make this setup for Home Theater installs, a bit pricey as far as outlets go, but it is a male and female pair. So you don't have to create cords for it. Double male extension cords are not really "safe" as it were, neither is wiring an extension cord to romex, and if in the wall is a violation of the electric code, and if it ain't it should be. Food for thought.

Jim

BackSpin
08/19/2009, 06:01 PM
I know it is against code and would not sleep at night knowing it was wrong, thats why I am trying to find a soultion, Why would a double male be not safe? What if I just ran the extention cord down the wall that would be no better right?

uncleof6
08/19/2009, 06:25 PM
Double male cord: We are all human and things happen. An energized double male could electrocute you -- it is possible. An energized female end, takes a little effort to come in contact with the live parts.

Like I said, it is not the cheapest solution, however it is the safest:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/manufacturers/powerbridge/powerbridge-single-solution-kit/prodSSPBIW.html

Regards,

Jim

BackSpin
08/19/2009, 06:43 PM
You know I have never thought of that, Good call even though I am the only one that works on tank I still can't trust it you never know you get lazy or forget and pow, I worked for a shop building home theaters and never seen those but that is just what I need, Problem solved Thanks alot for the help and heads up I learned two things today. Like you said they aint cheep but they are safe and the right way to do it. Anyway whats a few hundred more in the reef tank hobby LOL ... Thanks again...

szwab
08/19/2009, 08:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15559093#post15559093 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by uncleof6
Double male cord: We are all human and things happen. An energized double male could electrocute you -- it is possible. An energized female end, takes a little effort to come in contact with the live parts.

+1 2 male plugs is just asking for trouble IMO. Would hate to see you receive a Darwin award. :D

BackSpin
08/20/2009, 10:07 AM
Yea to bad its an award you only get once.. And you would not be able to show it off to anyone else.. LOL