PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing Question ?

BackSpin
08/19/2009, 07:18 PM
Hello I have a question about my plumbing, I have a RR tank that is drilled and has two .75 bulkheads for returns I am running a Blueline 40xHD pump I have all 1" line to my manifold then it gets plumbed down to .75 to tank and out returns. my question is I have done the math with the Head caculator and see that there is a good 215 + GPH possible gain by going all 1" return line, My question is would I see a increase in flow and decrease in head buy going all 1" with only my loc line return outputs being .75 and the bulkheads being .75 also or would this be a blockage as well? Drilling up the bulkheads is not a option I was looking to for a simple but effective gain if possible.. Thanks

FirstContact
08/19/2009, 07:43 PM
I went went with 3/4" (0.75) returns and 1" plumping. The narrowing of the return causes a stronger flow pressure out of the loc line. This creates more water movement and flow in the tank.

BackSpin
08/19/2009, 07:54 PM
Will having a 3/4" bulkhead with 1" hose in and out be a restriction ?

Playa-1
08/20/2009, 12:05 AM
You will get a slight gain from the larger line due to less friction within the line. Unless the sump is a long way from the DT, I doubt your going to notice much of a difference one way or the other.

dots
08/20/2009, 03:15 AM
75-85% of the losses in the typical setup is due to the frictional elevation loss, most of the time even more. So the diameter, as long as its not totally out of line doesn't factor very much, as stated.

Playing with these values that you are stating help better match the pump to the system curve, or convert the energy into velocity as mentioned.

Flow=Velocity X Area

At these flows, base your selection on where the system needs to be to let the pump operate effeciently, or what is easiest to plumb.