PDA

View Full Version : Filtration/skimmer question....

Saltcity
08/20/2009, 08:39 AM
Ok.... I'm in the process of a new tank and want some informed opinions.

I'm setting up a 135 gallon tank with probably a 60 gallon(or so) sump. I am thinking of setting the fitration up just like my Nano only bigger scale.
I use no skimmer in the Nano and only use sponges for mech. filtration and I toss in some activated carbon from time to time. The tank is always crystal clear and everything in the tank seems to do very well. I know there are many variables so lets talk filtration.
I'm wondering if anyone has done this with a larger tank?

When I had my 125gallon up and running I grew Chaeto and ran a large skimmer but it didn't do any better than this nano does so that is why I'm thinking of going in this direction.......

billdogg
08/20/2009, 11:18 AM
Most on here will tell you that to run (any) tank skimmerless is a disaster waiting to happen. I'm not one of them. I currently have 2 tanks - a 60g cube that has been up since 1992 - no skimmer, VHO lighting, canister filter, dual biowheel filter, glass tops, and a TLF phosphate reactor. The other is a 150g, with a 120 for the refugium with DSB, and a 50g for the sump. No skimmer. VHO lighting, eggcrate tops, a diy phosphate and diy carbon reactor.

Both tanks are going very well, thank you. The only other filtration I have on the tanks is liverock. No filter socks, no floww, no sponges. nada

I am a firm believer in the KISS principle (Keep It Simple STUPID!)

I would like to put a skimmer on the 150, but don't really want to spend $$$$$ at this point, so, since it's working, I'm not in a big hurry to fix it. I would probably put one on the 60, but it is sumpless and I don't really want to look at an ugly cup of grunge in my living room.

HTH

Saltcity
08/20/2009, 11:28 AM
[i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15562860#post15562860 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by billdogg
HTH [/B]

That helps alot!
I spent a lot of money on skimmers for my 125 gallon...... The first one broke, second one was never right so I went and pulled the trigger on a bad boy which worked great at making my daily chore list longer.
I've been running this Nano for a year and 2 months with no skimmer and really just want to try the "KISS" thing with my new in wall tank. I can always change it around a bit if its not working. It's not so much the money, this Nano is the easiest tank to take care of and I would love to be able to say that about the big tank.

Thanks for the reply.....:)

Katmanblue
08/20/2009, 11:33 AM
Agreed. Our goal is all the same, but we all get there by different methods. For every person spending $$$ on skimmers, there is another person doing regular water changes using his penguin bio filter. Are the live creatures thriving and not just surviving? If so, you're doing it right.