PDA

View Full Version : So what got you hooked

gaucho30
08/20/2009, 09:23 AM
I am curious as to what got different people hooked on salt water aquariums? Personally I am pretty new to this but my friend had a little 6g nano that I thought was such a waste of money. He upgraded to a 28 HQI cube and one day I went to the LFS with him and well, it was all downhill from there. I had just given up baseball, which my life had revolved around for the previous 10 years and needed a hobby. Needless to say I was hooked from that day on. I started voraciously reading every FAQ and tutorial I could get my hands on. It was not but a month after that day that I had found myself a 40g breeder. 3 months after that I found an absolute steal on a 120g setup that I couldnt pass up. I sold my 40g setup after my 120 cycled which brings me to this point. Anyone else care to share their story?

ERICinFL
08/20/2009, 10:11 AM
I had wanted to get into saltwater tanks for years, but thought they were to difficult to maintain. One of my buddies had a tank and told me it wasn't as bad as most think. I went to his house and was amazed by all the stuff he had. He turned me on to Reef Central and after reading all I could find, I decided to take the leap. Now, five years later, I still love it and couldn't see my home without one. My wife is even into it (took a while though :p) and get's excited over new corals now. The fact that she loves it, along with the kids, makes it that much more enjoyable. Heck, I went to a fellow reefers house to buy some frags and she ended up picking out the majority of them. :lol: The best part, is the satisfaction I get from turning frags into colonies and supporting a tiny little fraction of ocean life in my home. The bonus, is when family, friends and fellow reefers come by and tell me how great it looks.

Katmanblue
08/20/2009, 10:51 AM
My family had always had fishtanks, but freshwater--fancy goldfish, guppies, angels, etc. But I always wanted prettier fish so when I got a decent job and went out on my own I just did it. Started with a 29 gallon Eclipse set-up, then a 37, then a 40 then a 55, now a 90...lol....please make it stop!!

cloak
08/20/2009, 11:22 AM
My parents had a saltwater tank back in the late 70's, early 80's. When you walked down the hall, you could see the reflection of the flourescent bulb in the window. At night, it looked like a lightsaber in a dark room. We ran thru that doorway...

I'm a big STAR WARS fan.

skippy2
08/20/2009, 12:03 PM
My boyfriend got me into SW. We started with a 20g. He's long gone but now 7 yrs. later I have a 75g fullblown reef.

Moonstream
08/20/2009, 12:09 PM
since I was little, I would visit the 20000g reef at atlantis marine world in riverhead, and stare captivated as 2' tangs and huge hoards of young anthias drifted by on the current. One of my earliest memories was of me getting my first pet, a little goldfish named Goldie.

when I was in fifth grade, I got a 20H tropical FW tank, and my addiction skyrocketed. I was in Petco nearly every day and knew my way around the store better than most employees. my collection of tanks peaked at a 29g, 20H, a 6g, a 2.5g, and a 10g, all FW tropicals.

then, I found myself with an empty 29, after the discus I had been growing out died of fungal infections. I remembered that tank I'd seen at Atlantis, and so, I started my first SW tank around New Years in 2006, when I was in 7th grade. It was to be FO, but soon morphed into a reef. since then, Ive been through a 29g, a 20L w/ 20L sump, a 75g with 40br and later 30L sump, and a BC29, and I will be setting up an AP24 in the next few weeks.

my addiction has grown, and now I cant ever picture myself reef-less. hell, Im going into 9th grade, and Im already thinking about the dream setup I want after I've graduated collage! :)

merek123
08/20/2009, 12:16 PM
When I was 17, I'm 33 now, I worked at a pet store that carried a considerable amount of saltwater. Well one day a elderly lady was leaving in her car and instead of putting it in reverse, she put it in drive and came crashing through the front of the store. A 75 gal oceanic and stand came crashing as well. The tank only endured a small chip to the glass and others to the stand. The owner sold it to me for $125 b/c insurance covered the replacement. Darn that old lady has cost me a ton of money!

gaucho30
08/20/2009, 12:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15563175#post15563175 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Moonstream
since I was little, I would visit the 20000g reef at atlantis marine world in riverhead, and stare captivated as 2' tangs and huge hoards of young anthias drifted by on the current. One of my earliest memories was of me getting my first pet, a little goldfish named Goldie.

when I was in fifth grade, I got a 20H tropical FW tank, and my addiction skyrocketed. I was in Petco nearly every day and knew my way around the store better than most employees. my collection of tanks peaked at a 29g, 20H, a 6g, a 2.5g, and a 10g, all FW tropicals.

then, I found myself with an empty 29, after the discus I had been growing out died of fungal infections. I remembered that tank I'd seen at Atlantis, and so, I started my first SW tank around New Years in 2006, when I was in 7th grade. It was to be FO, but soon morphed into a reef. since then, Ive been through a 29g, a 20L w/ 20L sump, a 75g with 40br and later 30L sump, and a BC29, and I will be setting up an AP24 in the next few weeks.

my addiction has grown, and now I cant ever picture myself reef-less. hell, Im going into 9th grade, and Im already thinking about the dream setup I want after I've graduated collage! :)

My first tank was the result of my dad giving me some money to play carnival fish pong. I happened to come back to my dad with 6 goldfish. We went to petco and bought a tank 20L I believe. Those little guys lasted 6 years! Well one of them lasted 6 years, my cat loved to torment them and a few ended up on the floor/ in my cats belly. And don't be in any hurry to graduate, I have one more quarter however I wish I had another year as it all went so fast!!! My parents joke with me now about how I might do another BS in marine biology.

KillerReef
08/21/2009, 12:40 AM
The Black Cap Basslet...

I originally had a 70 gallon FW tank and one time(at band camp) when I went to my LFS, he showed me a BC Basslet and right then and there, I decided I was switching to SW. I am yet to get my BCB, but I'm hoping to have one soon, real soon...

likwidglostix
08/21/2009, 01:00 AM
A few years back I lived in FL with a couple who had a 72 gal bowfront FOWLR. He had the tank for at least ten years. He had some snails, but no cnidarians of any kind until we were living together. His mom bought him a pair of black clowns and an anemone. Having been so mature and not technically a reef tank, it was easy maintenance. In the six or so months that I lived with them, he did one water change and his only filtration was a HOB filter. He had crushed coral and an undergravel filter with a single powerhead in the tank.

The thing that really turned me to saltwater was watching the fish eat. He fed frozen brine, frozen mysis, and occasionally live brine. Growing up my parents had a few small FW tanks and the fish eat flakes off the surface...boring. Watching the SW fish chase the brine around the water column was so much more interesting. When I moved up here to VA and got my apt I had to get a tank, but had been spoiled. I'm also the type of person that needs a challenge. FW would have bored me too quickly and I'd probably still have a SW tank by now.

BFG
08/21/2009, 01:53 AM
KillerReef, Black cap basslet huh. I was pulled in by the firefish. I saw a show tank with a group of this fish and I was hooked, line and sinker.

ecoreefer
08/21/2009, 04:55 AM
I was a freshwater guy since I was a little kid. I had always wanted to do a saltwater tank, but always thought they were very hard to maintain. Finally one day I decided to do a lot of research, and a few months later converted my 55 gallon tank to saltwater. The part that keeps me going is the challenge our tanks can give sometime, and the fact my tank has become a way to relieve some stress and get my mind off of things. Its a good release for me personally.

billdogg
08/21/2009, 07:13 AM
In the mid 1960's, a good friend of my parents was one of the first scuba instructors in central ohio. His dive shop was his garage. We would go over and I was always drawn to his fishtank - not much by today's standards, but boy was it cool then!!

That, and Jacque Cousteau and SeaHunt

When I got certified, it just made me want to do that much better with my tank - nothing like seeing how it is really supposed to look!!!

Henryreef
08/21/2009, 08:13 AM
This is a very interesting thread. It is very cool to see how different people got involved and what 'hooked' them.

As for me my uncle had a large SPS tank with a school of fish. After a few days of watching it I decided to ask him about it. It was hook line and sinker after that :)

blumoon reefers
08/21/2009, 08:28 AM
My family always had FW tanks, but the first time I saw a Coral Beauty Angelfish, I knew that I would eventually have a SW tank.

Brandon M
08/21/2009, 08:32 AM
The first time I saw an adult Queen Angelfish I knew I wanted to try and keep one. Absolutely my favorite fish!

noahm
08/21/2009, 08:32 AM
I originally didn't like SW. I had only seen FO tanks at dentist offices etc. They always looked so fake. I had always done FW planted tanks. I happened to go into a LFS in a larger nearby town and the guy has a 5'x6'x3' display and a bunch of 12-30g cubes all set up and a huge selection of corals and fish. I just had no idea that you could make the tank look so natural and interesting with all the LR and corals. 6 months of research later and I made he plunge.

Paul B
08/21/2009, 08:53 AM
My family had a fish market wso I grew up playing with dead fish. I always had a fresh water tank but one day in 1971 the largest store in NY got in blue devils. I had never seen a tropical saltwater fish before and they were not for sale anywhere else, so I bought one. They I got some stores in my neighborhood started by setting up saltwater tanks in their stores. Then I convinced a wholesaler to start shipping saltwater fish to the stores. Then I started SCUBA diving to learn about the fish since no information was available and what was available was wrong.
The rest is history
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh270/urchsearch/scan0012.jpg

Hop
08/21/2009, 09:10 AM
I was always interested in fish tanks since I was very young. When I moved out on my own I kept a number of FW set ups and a friend at work got me into tanks over 100 gallons and low light-low maintenance planted tanks. From there it was all down hill with multiple tanks that slowly led to high-tech planted tanks and FW breeding. I always thought salt was harder but decided to give it a try in a 55 gallon and it all went downhill from there. I got addicted after seeing large tank builds and become fascinated with the equipment and wetrooms.

WhoDey64
08/21/2009, 09:13 AM
Waiting for a pizza at Papa Johns, the store next door was called Ocean World walked in to kill some time waiting on the pie and the rest is history.

rng_pw
08/21/2009, 09:28 AM
I had always shown interest in the hobby, and my wife thought it would be a great idea to get me a tank for my birthday(Little did she know what she was getting into :). She bought me a jbj 24 gallon nano cube, which was really cool. 4 months later my friend upgraded his 90 to a 150 bow, so naturally I upgraded my nano to a 90. I was good with the 90 for about a year and half until my lfs decided to call it quits and gave me a great deal on a 300gallon tank. At this point my wife is beginning to regret her decision. Although I had done well with the nano and the 90 I realized that I did'nt know much about the hobby. At this point I started reading everything I could and I also found reefcentral as well as a couple of other sites. The 300 was fun but when my wife and I decided to remodel our house quickly found a reason to upgrade my current 450 gallon inwall. My friend put it best. corals are like crack but more expensive and not illegal.

Eltrex06
08/21/2009, 09:46 AM
Ive worked in a pet store for the past 6 years now. Always had freshwater tanks practically before i could walk. Tetras, guppies, ect i always wanted a saltwater tank but thought it was way to expensive for me. One day when i was walking around the aisles at work facing i saw a saltwater for dummies book and well it was all downhill from that point on. Started out small mostly freshwater equip and slowly upgraded till where i am today.

Hookup
08/21/2009, 10:05 AM
Neat thread idea.

First tank (15 yrs ago) - First trip into a local (yet remote) fish store that had salt-water fish... Done... had to have the colors... 75gallon tank and I was off to the races (flooding floors, etc, etc..) loads of fun.. was budget poor and the tank showed it. That tank/setup lasted for about 2 years before I threw in the towel.

second tank (15yrs later) - Not sure where the impulse came.. but seeing tanks on RC made me realize the colors that were possible in a reef, I wanted to get me some of that... I blame so many TOTM winners it's not practical to list them all here. I'm just cresting the 1 year mark (for the second time), and still very much enthused.

Tim

mullinsd2
08/21/2009, 10:20 AM
Never owned a fish tank until 4 months ago... first month I went through two little freshwater tanks for my betta.... next thing you know I have a drilled 75 gallon tank...... huge jump lol.

bubbly
08/21/2009, 10:23 AM
I walked into a SW aquarium store and saw a tiny tank full of pompom Xenias pumping away and a goby/pistol combo in there -- I was hooked...

sruiz
08/21/2009, 01:23 PM
Walked into a Petco in 2005 with my wife , looking for a fish tank for my 2 year old boy. She said she wanted a 2 gallon freshwater and I said " are you crazy " luckly I met an employee that actually new his stuff, he explained to me how to start a saltwater tank "he said take it slow and nothing will go wrong" I paid attention and got off to a good start. Walked out with a 30 gallon tank and inless than a months sold the tank to a friend and bought a 55 gallon; until this day I am trying to upgrade,currently have a 125. Maybe some day I'll be able to dive in my tank..

Dave & Monica
08/21/2009, 02:34 PM
I found this thread very interesting to read through. For me, ever since I was a kid whenever I saw a saltwater tank, and later a reef, I'd say - I want one of those. Since I was in the military, and later even for the gov't overseas, I moved around every 12-18 months. Finally in 2005, I settled then gave it a try. I am so glad I met someone who said go to RC first and read...... I often joke with my wife and say, “Did I ever tell you I’ve always wanted a reef”

paraletho
08/21/2009, 03:21 PM
It all started in 1960 at 7 years old. Summer vacation in the Arkansas mountains/clear mountain lake. My dad said son your supposed to swim on top of the water. I said dad its so much more interesting down here. There was never any doubt that it would end up here. Fish only in 70-71 with wild caught fish from the Flower Gardens (northern most coral reef in the western hemisphere) in a 55 using UG filter. I wish I'd have known of Paul B back then and he could have told me to run it backwards. I collect and monitor fish for a living, when I get off I take care of my fish or go fishing to get some to eat. You might say eat,sleep and breathe fish. I didn't choose it- it chose me.

Imzadi
08/21/2009, 03:51 PM
Fresh water forever...

But Marine Fever started with a FlameHawk. Saw him in the tank and looked at him closely... and he turned his head, and looked at me... He was not just in the tank and I was watching him... we were watching each other... never had many fresh water fish that would even notice me, unless there was food involved...

Had to have one.

rballz
08/21/2009, 04:16 PM
For me it started when I was setting up a 55g FW tank when I was 19. Loved the look of the reef.

I did some reading and was hooked when I realized critters hitch rides with the "live rock" and mysterious guests could pop out of a tank from time to time. The weird worms, sponges, crabs, etc.

I don't know why that hooked me over the beauty. Just seems pretty cool that our artificial ecosystems can produce creatures we did not pay for (and often times did not want).

11 years after this I finally bought a 40 breeder with 20l sump used and a 3g picotope which are both 2 weeks into the cycle. I can't stop watching what pops up.

I even found a white/black crab (looks like a bad guy so he's in the fuge - but looks AWESOME). That's the kind of stuff I live for.

I guess once I get a truely horrible and hard to deal with pest I might change my tune.

luther1200
08/21/2009, 04:22 PM
It all started for me when my friend was upgrading from a 12g Aquapod to a 75RR. He said I could have the Aquapod with the 2 Clownfish and Cleaner shrimp for free. So that first free tank has wound up costing me a few thousand,lol. Just like a drug dealer "hey the first ones free man".

Shane Hoffman
08/21/2009, 04:58 PM
I started a FO tank that was going to be preadators. The guy asked me If i was interested in corals.....

I said no. Never have been and never plan on being into them.

He said I bet you will someday. Everyone does......

I adamantly declared I wouldnt....

Heres my tank today

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv32/shane4511/FTS.jpg

glad I didnt take that bet

Fish_wiz2
08/21/2009, 09:48 PM
For me, discus and planted got boring...After refinancing (no, just kidding :p) I now run a successful and fun 125 mixed reef. Wiz ;)

Kdocimo90
08/21/2009, 11:01 PM
I think the first thing that got me hooked was seeing an Adult Emperor Angel.

Kdocimo90
08/21/2009, 11:04 PM
oh and Shane... careful with the Emperor Angel. I had one in my reef tank, and it didnt bother my corals for 9 months. All of a sudden it started tearing up my acans and zoas.

jhawkor
08/21/2009, 11:08 PM
I've just always been fascinated with marine life.

fufu
08/22/2009, 12:30 AM
I'm sure "Finding Nemo" would be considered an inspiration.

Flipper62
08/22/2009, 01:44 AM
Years ago ( 19 ) A friend had a 120 gallon tank. I always helped him take care of it because he traveled a lot. That turned into doing the water changes.......ect..ect.

Then he decided to upgrade to a 250 gallon custom build tank. Guess who got to the transfer of everything...Plus add more rock & rebuild everything.

I loved taking care of it all. I wanted to have my own tank, but at the time I was 26 years old.....just divorced & really had no room.

I did own my own house......so I decided to make room. I bought a tank & everything I needed. At first it was a FOWLR tank.

Then...........My friend.... ( the rat baster......ed ) gave me a few coral frags....free...to get me started.

I now know why drug dealers give a few small samples to you for free.

Oh YA....Scuba diving most of my life in the reefs & seeing what is out there didn't help

eb8919
08/22/2009, 05:45 AM
Going to the LFS with a close friend to pick up his newest coral or fish. The LFS had two incredible 75 gallons and i could stand there and stare into for hours if my friend let me. I eventually broke down and dove in.