PDA

View Full Version : sand grain size with the package

small alien
08/20/2009, 11:04 AM
Greetings. I'm about to set up a new 75 gallon and I know I want TBS liverock. But I'm hesitant to get the package because I want nice fine, even sand for my dragonet to bury in at night. It looks like TBS live sand is quite coarse like crushed coral. Thoughts? Thanks.

Madratter
08/20/2009, 11:23 AM
I haven't kept dragonets so I don't know what they actually need. I do know that I have plenty of stuff in the tank that likes to burrow in the sand, and they haven't had any problems doing so.

Yogre
08/20/2009, 12:12 PM
What I've found in my tank is that there are areas of lower flow where the sand is a little finer. In areas where the flow is stronger, the "crushed coral" look you've noticed is more prominent. I don't have a dragonet either (although I want one when my tank is a little more mature), but I'd bet there would be plenty of finer sand areas for such a creature.

AuroraDrvr
08/20/2009, 12:33 PM
You could always add in a bag or two of finer grade sand. I prefer a mixed look and have done this with bags of various grades of sand.

To be fair, I do not have the package, or have I ever ordered from TBS. So I do not know the sizes of their sand grains. I got all my FL aquacultured rock from local fish shops while I live in South Florida.

small alien
08/21/2009, 06:08 PM
Thanks all. I appreciate the feedback. Hmmm.