PDA

View Full Version : 96 watts T5 vs. 130 watts PC?

rynon
08/20/2009, 04:21 PM
I have a 25 gallon tank housing 4 BTA's which are all clones, the tank also houses two black and white clowns. There's no coral in the tank so that's not a concern. I already know most people wouldn't keep 4 BTA's in one small tank but they've I've had them for 3 years or so without issue, they're all happy and even spawned this year. I bought a new "Nova Extreme T5" fixture that will fit on this tank perfectly, I'd have to remove the canopy but that's no big deal. I bought the T5 unit to use on a frag tank but I could just as easily use the PC's (from the anemone tank) instead. For me the anemones come before the frags, so, what in your opinion is better? I took pictures of both setups....both appeared equally bright, T5 was bluer but that's all. I'd appreciate advice from those who know more about PAR than I do....pretty much everyone :D. Thanks all!

redfishsc
08/20/2009, 04:38 PM
T5. No competition!

Edit: I just noticed that you have the exact same tank and light I do. I have a 25g (24" wide, 21" tall) with a Nova Extreme. Mine is the old version with one big cheezy reflector.

I am growing LPS on the bottom just fine (fungia and torch). Granted, neither are light-hungry, but they are growing and look fantastic.

I have the following bulb combo, which looks really blue but is really beautiful with greens, blues, reds, and purples.

ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue Special
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Blue Plus

syrinx
08/20/2009, 08:25 PM
Depends on reflectors. T5s with good reflectors are better, but PCs are in reality T5 bulbs also. Watt for watt they are the same - but T5s lend themelves by shape to having more efficient reflectors fitted. If they don`t have individual bulb reflectors- go with the higher wattage PCs. After all, as you said they are doing fine as is. T5s do have a wider ability to mix and match bulbs as stated by previous poster.

patriots81
08/20/2009, 08:27 PM
T5s

danikowa
08/21/2009, 09:11 AM
I vote T5s as well!

rynon
08/21/2009, 01:56 PM
Looks like I'll be using the T5's, thanks all!