PDA

View Full Version : Anyone mixing anemone?

fufu
08/21/2009, 09:07 AM
Just a couple of days ago, my RBTA got dangerous close to my carpet(touching), I moved him and he seems to be okay. Just wondering if it is okay to mix anemone and would they stay away from each other?

danikowa
08/21/2009, 09:15 AM
I have always read that it is not a good idea, but I had a huge Green BTA and Sebae live in my 75 for a couple years with no problems. I may have just been lucky because they chose to stay on opposite ends of the tank.

rkelman
08/21/2009, 10:18 AM
I have a Haddoni and 4 BTA's in my 190 with no issues yet..

RoastReef
08/21/2009, 11:29 AM
I have a Gigantea, 2 BTA's, and 2 RBTA's with no problems. The BTA's are all grouped together on one end and the Gigantea is on the other end.

Coral Hind
08/21/2009, 11:47 AM
I would not keep them together as the odds are not in your favor of them surviving long term. I had a carpet actually eat a BTA, for that matter I had a RBTA eat GBTA about six months ago.

fufu
08/21/2009, 01:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15569232#post15569232 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Coral Hind
I would not keep them together as the odds are not in your favor of them surviving long term. I had a carpet actually eat a BTA, for that matter I had a RBTA eat GBTA about six months ago.

:eek:

MM WI
08/21/2009, 05:08 PM
Nice to see your question followed up stories of success. The risks are greatly exagerated. People who tend to be successful keeping single anemones will likely have similiar success keeping multiple anemones. So start with one, if it goes well and you want a second go for it. Start them in oposite ends but if they migrate toward each other no need for panic. If they pick areas near each other they will sort it out. One will move or they will simply figure out their own boarders.

- mark

rkelman
08/21/2009, 07:03 PM
"I would not keep them together as the odds are not in your favor of them surviving long term. I had a carpet actually eat a BTA, for that matter I had a RBTA eat GBTA about six months ago."

I disagree as many have done it. That being said I had 1 RBTA and cut it and I just released them into the tank a couple days ago. I had them in a container with holes to protect them. 1 of them is where I put it and the other has disappeared. It may be hiding. Maybe it got ate.. Time will tell..

joe1584
08/21/2009, 07:06 PM
I have hadioni (Sp) and a rbta in my 120 the rbta is up high in the tank in the middle and hasnt moved from the rock its on and have benn moved all oer the tank for over a year and a half. The carpet is on the lover right hand side of the tank and hasnt moved at all either.

Joe

MM WI
08/22/2009, 01:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15571566#post15571566 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rkelman
"I would not keep them together as the odds are not in your favor of them surviving long term. I had a carpet actually eat a BTA, for that matter I had a RBTA eat GBTA about six months ago."

I disagree as many have done it. That being said I had 1 RBTA and cut it and I just released them into the tank a couple days ago. I had them in a container with holes to protect them. 1 of them is where I put it and the other has disappeared. It may be hiding. Maybe it got ate.. Time will tell..

Exactly, but even more important there several people who have had repeated success over the years keeping multiple anemones in the same tank. Ditto for multiple clowns. This trumps the failures. If this is what you want to do, focus on the advice and experience of those that are not having a problem. I glad there seems to be some evolution away from using a few failures as reason to discourage people from trying things on RC. I hope this continues. We can learn so much more from the success stories.

- mark