PDA

View Full Version : Worried about my Onyx Clowns

sgrosenb
08/21/2009, 11:24 AM
I just got an order of a pair of Onyx Percs from Booyah's Reef (kerusso316) and they are GEORGEOUS! The only problem is, my tank is only about 2 weeks old, and it tested very slightly for ammonia. Other than that, I don't think there's anything wrong with the water.

However, after a few hours of acclimatin the fish to the tank, they started swimming upside down, vertically, etc. and when I woke up, they were swimming sideways at the top of the tank, but certainly not dead.

Is there anything I can do to help these guys out? Would a water change help? Could my water possibly be bad? I don't understand what my issue could be...

Help please!!!
Thanks,

Khai
08/21/2009, 12:37 PM
Why would you do that to your fish and put them in a tank that hasn't completely cycled yet?

The way I see it, you have three options:

1) Let them die/live painfully and complete your cycle. This is probably best for your tank but not for the clowns.

2) Use Prime to 'detox' the ammonia and then add something like chemipure to remove nitrates. This will help the fish but is likely to short circuit your cycle.

3). Use Prime and add Bio-Spira in the hope that the prime will keep the fish alive and the bio-spira (bacteria) will cycle the tank and complete your nitrogen cycle.

Ebisan
08/21/2009, 02:03 PM
Your tank wasnt ready. It should finish its cycle before you start adding livestock. Do you have a friend with an established tank. I would move the fish until your tank is ready.

NewbeeReefer
08/21/2009, 02:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15569093#post15569093 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sgrosenb
Other than that, I don't think there's anything wrong with the water.....

Ammonia = Death

Some hardy fish can tolerate a bit, but most cannot. Your tank simply isn't ready. Get them out ASAP. Maybe your LFS can hold them for you?