PDA

View Full Version : gluing polypropylene

Young Frankenstein
08/22/2009, 01:25 PM
anything ?

BeanAnimal
08/22/2009, 01:33 PM
To be technical you can not "glue" plastics that are chemical resistant. We glue by adhesion or or chemical or means (sovent welding). You will have much better luck welding it with heat.

You can get some substances to adhere to the PP or PE but they will certainly not create a strong mechanical bond over a short surface area.

Polypropylene is "non-stick" because it is a polymer that constantly sheds oil and is also not easily soluable by chemicals. You can try to quickly flash the oils away with at torch and quickly bond with an adhesive like CA... if this is for a water holding vessel.. then thermal welding is likely your only option.

Young Frankenstein
08/22/2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks bean .... good to see ya :)

BeanAnimal
08/22/2009, 04:50 PM
Talk to H20ENG about hot air wwelding, he has played with it quite a bit. You can use the Harbor Freight $39 welder with a few mods and it is not too bad for DIY projects. A decent high end hobby unit will cost a few hundred on eBay.

DEERE G
08/23/2009, 09:36 AM
Kamweld hot gas welders in Norwood, Mass. or Wegener Welding in Burr Ridge , Il. I prefer the Kamweld...they are pricey though. The welding nozzles/tips are what really adds up. You can then weld many thermoplastics with the proper filler rod and technique. HTH

CMcNeil
08/23/2009, 03:00 PM
You must weld PP as bean stated,I prefer wegener over kamweld but the tips and welders are not cheap.BTW I weld plastics for a living.