PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have crushed coral and like it?

pmrossetti
08/22/2009, 04:15 PM
And why, please. Thanks

Pacific Reefs
08/22/2009, 04:49 PM
I don't think you will find it in a reef tank unless it's mixed with some finer sand. The reason is it will be a nitrate factory unless you clean it often.

Octopus8
08/22/2009, 05:01 PM
I started my aquarium with 2" of sand with a layer of GARF Grunge on top. GARF Grunge is basically crushed coral and small pieces of rock rubble with some coraline algae and assorted critters in it. It was great at accelerating my cycle, but now I hate that layer of stuff on my sand. I've removed most of it, but there's still a thin layer I have to remove. Maintaining a clean substrate would be so much easier without that layer of crushed coral on top of my sand. I can't imagine how bad the detritus buildup would be with nothing but crushed coral.

garygonzales
08/22/2009, 05:11 PM
ive had crushed coral for over 5 years.... ive never had any probs with it at all........

pmrossetti
08/22/2009, 05:11 PM
Ever seen someone vacuum a sand bed after a little time. It is pretty filthy as well. As well as a hydrogen sulfide possibility. Which I've witnessed. But that's why I want all your expert opinions. Thank you all

pmrossetti
08/22/2009, 05:28 PM
Also a quick add on. Ever break down a tank with a sand bed. Holy moly what a mess! Just offered for your comments. I've just been reading that some aquarium folks are moving away from sand to 3-5mm aragonite gravel 1" because of the reasons i stated. And it stays aerobic. I like the look sand too, but I'm open to other thoughts. Keep your thoughts coming please. Thank you.

jayk198030
08/22/2009, 06:29 PM
i used crushed coral in my 75g reef. i siphon the crushed coral bed and my sand beds in other tanks. i will be going with just sand from now on. what sand gets siphoned up gets dumped. when sand bed is low i add fresh sand, so i do that maybe once a year. i think the crush coral bed is the cause of my bubble algae problem in tank.

Ehaze
08/22/2009, 06:50 PM
my LFS uses crushed coral, and it looks amazing, they have had it running for over 5 years. huge sps colonies.

pmrossetti
08/22/2009, 06:59 PM
Ehaze, Could make a guess as to how deep it is? 1", 2" etc.
Just your guess is fine

SDguy
08/22/2009, 07:05 PM
I have large (Grade 10?) CC in very high flow areas. It's the only thing that would't shift. I like it.

Popeye
08/22/2009, 08:24 PM
I've had both, no issues with either. The crushed coral stays put better, and it's not that hard to clean. I think the sand looks great, though. I'd probably go with sand next time, but I don't have that much of a preference.

noahm
08/22/2009, 09:25 PM
I have Tampa Bay Saltwater's live sand straight from the gulf. It is very similar to crushed coral, but not as uniform. Probably 1-5 mm on average covering a good range. It has so much stuff sifting it around that areas some areas become coarser than others due to flow etc. I really like the natural look, and it seems to keep the critters happy and sifting. I never see any detritus buildup where the glass allows you to see, but like I said, it is full of critters and sifters. If you want white sand and very soft substrate for burrowing fish etc it is not ideal though.

wetWolger
08/22/2009, 11:26 PM
In my 120gal most the sand is .5 to 2mm in size....but then I have about 1/4 to 1/5 of the sand bed be crushed coral. I have always regretted adding the crushed coral. I thought it would stay decently mixed, but the crushed coral always ends up going to the top of the sand bed. It looks bad (IMO), and the sand is always unbelievably dirty. I have basically been forced to vacuum the sandbed semi-regularly to keep the chemistry in check.

I have started completely fresh sand in my new tank...the reason being is I don't want to transport any crushed coral. I am struggling with the decision right now if I want to even put a couple cups of the old sand in to seed the new tank. I really do feel crushed coral was that much of a mistake.