PDA

View Full Version : Another Red Bug Question.

Frick
08/23/2009, 02:51 PM
I don't think I have them but I thought I saw some on a frag I recently got. It was dipped in Revive first but I would like this info before it becomes a problem, if it does. I have had a tank get Whipped OUT of all the acros from these micropest. So first off:
Where can I find info on dosage for Interceptor? Any links would be good?

Can it be used as a preventive dip?

Can I use frontline or any other flea meds?

flamron
08/23/2009, 03:08 PM
It can and should be used as a preventative dip. I use a spoonful (from salifert calcium test kit) in one gallon of tank water for two-three hours. I believe one large tablet will treat 375g (plus or minus). I used a 1/4 pill to treat my 75 (total water volume is around 80 gallons).

If you thought you saw them on a frag, then you will probably see them on any other acro you have in the tank. If that is the case, I'd recommend a full tank treatment. Unless you have only a few pieces that can be easily removed and QT'ed for a period of three treatments.

I would not use any other meds on the red bugs.

HTH,

Frick
08/23/2009, 10:20 PM
Alright, thanks for the info. I have a 40 breeder, but i can put everything in as 10 gallon QT I have setup.

Frick
08/23/2009, 10:27 PM
Oh ya two more Qs:

Does Intercepter have different size pills for different size animals to treat? Will that effect the dose?

What is the drug going to affect in the tank? I heard it will kill just pods and I aslo heard it will kill all crustatians?

flamron
08/24/2009, 05:20 AM
There are different size pills. Try to get the large dog pills (50-100lbs). You can get the smaller pills, but you will need to figure out the dosage.

Interceptor will kill the majority of your pods. It may also kill your shrimp and crabs. I lost a fire shrimp, but my coral banded didn't die. I would have been really happy had that happened the other way around. I actually pulled the fire shrimp once he was dazed, but it was too late. I pulled all the crabs, so I didn't lose them (also didn't put them back in either).

soccerbag
08/24/2009, 06:58 AM
Frick,

Check out Melev's site. He has a great article on Interceptor with dosing instructions, etc. Flamron is spot on though. Melev simply goes into a lot more detail (way too much to type out on a thread).

Hope that helps.

Craig

flamron
08/24/2009, 07:00 AM
+1 on that - Exactly where I got my QT regiment.

Frick
08/24/2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks for that article Craig. I was also checking out his articles on AEFW. I will be quarintining much longer for those two reasons.