PDA

View Full Version : Evil Emerald Crab

reice05
08/23/2009, 09:24 PM
So I got my first 2 fish friday 2 small maroon clowns. And the bigger one the female found her favorite spot in the left corner by a nice rock cliff. I got 2 Emerald Crabs 1 is cool but the otherone is :mad:....he always looks like he's reach trying to grab my clown like he's looking for a meal. Should I be concerned or is the maroon smart enough to stay a good distance??

Sisterlimonpot
08/23/2009, 09:30 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. the maroons can hold their own.

sedor
08/23/2009, 09:41 PM
An emerald will not be able to take down a maroon. If he is raising his little claws like that you should try feeding him with some tongs, maybe one day you'll be hand feeding. Emeralds are really cool, and blend in the rock which can make finding them a sort of wheres waldo type game.

ERICinFL
08/23/2009, 10:21 PM
My Emerald Crab does that when fish get to close to him and he has never harmed them. I think he's just putting up a defensive show. Offer it some seaweed and it'll be nibbling for a long time. More than likely, it'll take it under the rock work and you won't see it for hours.

Anubreed
08/23/2009, 11:02 PM
yeah those crabs will do that but will not eat the clown fish. but it maybe hungry so you may have to find something it will eart and add it to the tank also if this is happening a lot your tank maybe to small or your live rock may need to be re stacked so the crab and fish will have there own hang outs.

Flipper62
08/24/2009, 12:04 AM
I have never seen or had a emerald crab go after a fish. I have had them for years & love them.

I have seen them when their picking/eating things off of a rock, raise their claws up at a fish.......kinda like ...HEY....Get away I'm eating..

Never had one really go after a fish.

woofu
08/24/2009, 06:33 AM
hi all i have 3 emarald crabs in 155g and wish i never added them..he is always trying to pick at my corals after hand feeding them.. he is pretty big and i give him brine shrimp. the smallest one ive seen him at least ten times with his claw buried in an acan trying to dig out some brine shrimp.. the big one just will tear some tissue.. cant catch them so i fend them off at feeding time.

pammy
08/24/2009, 08:42 AM
I had one before and I caught him two or three times tearing little pieces of flesh off of a nacariuss snail. I quickly separated them, and the nacarrius went racing off. Had I not caught him just in time, I think he would have killed the snail. He did seem to lunge at a fish or two as well, but I think as the others said, it might have been a defensive mode. I lost him during a 3 day power-outage last winter when the temps in my tank went down to 58f degrees.