PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Tubing

mike68
08/24/2009, 08:15 AM
i am wondering the difference between cast and extruded tubing. is 1 preferable over the other when making something like a skimmer?

dahenley
08/24/2009, 10:19 AM
i am no expert, but i have read a bunch in the archives. cast is the best when it comes to salt water. they say that extruded will absorb water and it cant be tooled, cut, and taped as easily, it is said to break easier and its not machinable. (if this helps?) not to mention, most high end equipment is made with cast acrylic.

troylee
08/24/2009, 10:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15584498#post15584498 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dahenley
i am no expert, but i have read a bunch in the archives. cast is the best when it comes to salt water. they say that extruded will absorb water and it cant be tooled, cut, and taped as easily, it is said to break easier and its not machinable. (if this helps?) not to mention, most high end equipment is made with cast acrylic.
That pretty much sums it up.....stick with cast if possible...althou it does absorb water just like extruded but its much stronger and more user friendly.....