PDA

View Full Version : Spotted Cardinalfish Questions

MrBunny
08/24/2009, 05:18 PM
Hey I want to see if you guys think I could keep a small group of Spotted Cardinalfish in a 36 gallon tank with two common clowns and a yellow watchmen? Or is this too many fish?

From my research I kept reading they need to be kept in schools. How many is it consider for it to be a school?

http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20080215231006/www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/product/p-39336-cardinalfish.jpg

walkthedog
08/24/2009, 07:11 PM
You can keep them in schools. I just have one in my tank and he is a happy loner. I wouldn't do more than 3 in that size tank. With 2 clowns and watchman you are about at max fish with that tank.

Playa-1
08/24/2009, 07:43 PM
I think the tank is a bit small for that many fish. These fish are also nocturnal so when the lights are on the don't move around much but at night when the lights are off they get more active.

danch
08/24/2009, 08:00 PM
They don't exactly 'school' in an aquarium, they will hang out together at feeding time and when they 'hunt' (about the time the mains go off in the evening). Make sure you've got plenty of hiding places for them, too - I've heard of people having aggression issues with them. I've got 6 in my 75 (with the rock laid out of their benifit, not mine) and there's just an occasional chase. They're nice mellow little fish, some hide more than others, though.

A 'small group' of 3 or so might not be too much bioload, and their behavior won't be too different than a bigger group.

iFisch
08/24/2009, 08:12 PM
Don't see a problem.

They are very methodical swimmers. They're careful. In my experience, they kind of "float" around the tank. Just flipping their fins to stay afloat.