PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Reactors

jjohnny
08/25/2009, 09:46 AM
A calcium reactor uses carbon dioxide and a chamber system to dissolve a crushed calcium substrate into your tank. The calcium saturated result is then added to your system at an advanced rate for growth of things like corals.

The question I have is are they really worth the money and what are some cheaper alternatives and what would I sacrifice by not using a calcium reactor?

Where are others purchasing the small 5lb Co2 bottle used to run the thing (preferably around the Atlanta Ga. area or internet)?

Shane Hoffman
08/25/2009, 09:55 AM
I would suspect you have no need for a reactor unless your 75g is packed front to back and side to side with sps and other skeletak corals. Simply dosing liquid calcium or 2 part solution will suffice....

Amoore311
08/25/2009, 10:24 AM
You can get the Co2 tanks at welding supply stores.

As far as "needing" a calcium reactor.... that's debateable.

You could drip kalk, or dose 2 part. Either of those will work just as well as a calcium reactor, depending on how stocked your tank is with corals.

Kalk is fine up to medium demand.

2 Part is fine for any demand, but you will use up 2 part fast on a fully stocked reef.

Calcium reactor is best for high demand tanks.

If you make your own 2 part, and have something like a drew's doser pump add them to the tank at the appropriate rate.... you will save money in initially, and in the long run vs. a calcium reactor, unless your wall to wall SPS... then the calcium reactor could have the advantage.